1/48 RCAF CL-13 - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff so far Geo. The blue seat harnesses are a modern fit, the harness of the period was a similar colour and type to those of WW2 Mustangs - a silver-grey Rayon webbing material, with bare, bright steel adjusters/buckles.
Main wheel well, and roof of nose gear well, was yellow zinc chromate, with a more green tinge. In the center of the main well roof, there was a anodised aluminium panel. Inside of all gear doors were clear lacquered aluminium.
The pics of the group of Sabres clustered together, appears to have been taken at Prestwick, probably not that long before I saw the Starfighters there, when the Sabres had then been cocooned.

You're welcome George. Let me know if you need pics of the wheel wells, and if I can get my 'system' to work, I'll sort it. Been having a few irritating problems since changing from XP to W7.

Thanks for the offer Terry, never enough reference material. If I can't use them, somebody popping in might find them handy. I've got lots of references but there were just so many variations, I needed someone to say, "Right...this is what you do...". With all the options out there, until I find an RCAF directive that says "All wheel wells will be painted in a colour you don't possess....", or something like that, I'm going with your suggestion.

Geo

Last edited:
Still looking for those pics Geo but at this point they will be quite underwhelming. They won't answer your questions anyway but I'll keep at it.

Waiting for the harnesses to dry and install and the cockpit is done.

003.JPG

Geo

Good start on the cockpit George.

Terry, would those wheel well colors go for all Sabre variants or just the Canadian built ones. I'm planning to through a FJ-4 in the mix here shortly.

From what I've seen Glenn, it seems to be common to all. Of course, as with most things, there were probably exceptions, and I'm not sure about later variants, such as the F-86D 'Sabre Dog'.
I've seen some pics of Canadair CL-13's, and F-86's which have been sold-on to other nations, after service with, for example, the RAF or RCAF, and USAF or other air forces, where the wells appear to have been re-painted in a mid grey colour, but I'm presuming this would be part of a refurb programme.

Thanks all. Waiting for the nose wheel well to dry and weather and then I can button the fuselage up.

1.jpg

F.O.D covers are included so I can worry about the nose weights near the end of the build.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back