1/48 RCAF CL-13 - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Latest GB is finished so 3 more months later, future self remembered to leave a note to present self to add weight. Went down to the tire shop at work and asked if they could spare some wheel balancing weights; it helps when you've given the guy a hand fixing chains on the grader when it's -20°C...

002.JPG

...starting to button up the fuselage.

003.JPG

Geo

Thanks. Added a small hatch(?) containing a small exhaust vent(?) that was attached to a small ledge on one side and an even smaller lug on the other side of the fuselage. The poster putty was just a handle in case the inevitable happened. A small gap(A1²) will be dealt with later.

001.JPG
006.JPG

Revell would have one attach the rear decking to the canopy first and then to the fuselage but this one is going to test fit and see if the reverse can be achieved. Test fitting the wings show gaps on both sides...

003.JPG

... I'm going to look for some Milliput in PG on Saturday and try to get the same results John(JKim) got in his MiG-23 S2F thread.

Geo

Good stuff Geo. Just about to download my Sabre pics from a newly opened exhibit here in Calgary. Let's see if there is a detail f that thingy you're talking about.

Make sure you get the right Milliput as it comes in different grades. The white stuff that John uses is the finest I believe. I ended up with an Adobe coloured batch before I knew the colour significance and it's a bit more coarse.

Beauty, thanks Andy. That shot also confirmed the rear deck is black. Gotta go check the decals because, looking at that photo made me realize how much cutting I'm going to have to do if I position the speed brakes opened.

Geo

Good stuff Geo.
Regarding the Milliput - John uses the 'Fine White', which is really designed for repairs to porcelain etc. I find that, apart form sometimes tricky to mix equally, it being white, it can often be too fine, and can crumble or flake, especially when used wet. It also seems to take longer to fully cure than the 'Standard Yellow/Grey' type. (Plain white carton, with red edges, and red lettering 'Milliput', with 'Standard - Yellow / Grey' beneath the title.)
Having used most of the versions over the last forty or so years, I prefer the above 'Standard' type, which is designed for modelling use, and can be wet-moulded, and a really smooth finish achieved, even before sanding, by wiping over with a wet finger tip. It's also better for sanding, drilling, carving etc, as it doesn't crumble or crack when worked.

Thanks for the heads-up Terry, though I doubt any P.G. shops will carry Milliput. I mean, if I can't find a decent beanie with a propeller on it in this "city", the chances of finding Milliput are pretty slim. Anyhoo...given the bad luck I've had trying to cleanly slice decals on open hatches, I have closed the brakes and surprise, surprise, it was a good fit. A quick troll through my books reveals that 99.99% of the F-86s parked with the brakes open, however....

Capture.JPG

Geo

Sweet, look at all the detail I can't add. I can paint the rod behind the headrest and the top part of the cylinder at the back of the canopy silver to break it up. Thanks Andy.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back