1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vc – Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good seam work! The Tamy P-47D has spoiled me... I only had to use a few drops of Mr Surfacer but I think I'll have some seam work on the upcoming Typhoon.

Thanks for calling in folks.

The weather was not on my side today, it's been very damp and not really outside spraying weather but we persevered and did manage to get the Azure Blue done.

20141211 1.jpg

Have also got most of the ancillary bits ready.

20141211 2.jpg

I was initially going to do this baby in the Malta blue grey/dark green but looking at the two photos I have, the first shows the aircraft with the early type exhaust with no gun heating...........the colouring is not shown clearly here either :p but we do have the white rear spinner and backing plate,

20141130 e.jpg

whereas :| the second pic shows the fishtail exhaust and gun heating...............

20141130 d.jpg

Also :rolleyes: looking at this second pic, the colours may be the desert colours of mid stone/dark earth. Any comment on this please folks would be most welcome.

Now if you look at the pic of my ancillary parts, my exhaust is the fishtail which points my upper camo to the mid stone/dark earth,........a dilemma!!!

Last edited:
Here is a profile of the Spit I've found in the Mushroom Yellow Series no.6111 book.

Spitfire MkVc PP_H.jpg

And here is another one I found via the net... It looks like the top camo was repainted.

Spitfire MkVc PP_H_1.jpg

Nice work Vic. I remember a build review when this kit was released, and there were fit problems then too. And yes, it shares common parts with a Seafire kit, hence the panel cover the opening for the arrestor hook panel.
Difficult choice on the colour scheme, especially as the tonal reproduction in the second pic is quite dark. Looking at the underside in the second pic, it's obviously no Sky or MSG, so I'm assuming that's Azure, looking very dark. If thta's the case, then I'd suggest that the top colours are Stone and Dark Earth.

The seams look to be a non-issue underneath a coat of paint. The bits are looking very nice too... should look good once it all goes together.

Many thanks for all the thought guys, now I have a double dilemma!!!....................
MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

Not really, for having read comments and taken a second look at the two alternative pics and the profiles from me old mate Wojtek, I have decided to opt for the desert scheme. My reason being that this build is all about the aircraft and not about who flew it. The machine went on to serve throughout the Middle East until late 1945 and looking at the second pic with all those chaps equipped with the standard RAF Blue Mk I peddle power, I did a bit of colour comparison. These RAF chappies are in the RAF blue battledress of the era and the background could well have been Malta or somewhere in North Africa. The uniform is winter dress, hence the low cloud and the guy facing the camera had khaki gaiters which almost match the lighter colour of the aircraft. The propeller boss and backing plate also appear to be one colour and in Malta, this was often a bright red, this colour is in turn, also depicted on my decal sheer and the above profiles. I'm also drawn to the second picture because of the fishtail exhaust on this photo presentation which again is more often shown as the desert camo aircraft.

b0227.gif

My thanks also to you Terry, your input has helped me swing towards the desert scheme. I think I was leaning that way anyway.

Having said all that, I don't have a desert camo WWII aircraft in my collection and It would be a shame to pass up the opportunity.

Last edited:
I don't see a dilemma... go for it! More than enough reasons to think that a desert scheme is plausible on this craft. The guys at Rising Decals seem to think so...

mto_04.jpg

As far as the desert camo is concerned... I would say it is very likely the kite might wear the kind of it. However I would pay your attention to the detail that Terry had mentioned above. The second pic is dark. What is more there are seen clouds in the sky while the small shot of the Spit shows the white sky. It indicates the second pic was taken with the yellow filter put on the lens. This can led to misleading about these camo colours.

And here two enlarged variants of the first image. Also a B&W chart of colours used for Malta Spitfire Mk.V. It can be useful for identicication of colours.

SpitV_.jpg

PPH3.jpg

And here another shot of the PP_H kite taken with the yellow filter methinks. The caption says it is an image taken in 1943 while the first shot seems to be of the 1942.

RAF_pilots_with_Beaufighter_and_Spitfire_at_Malta_1943.jpg

The B&W colour chart ...

review_malta_spit_5B_W.jpg

And here you are two intersting links ...

Review: Malta Spitfire Vs ? 1942: Their Colours and Markings | IPMS/USA Reviews

Hellenic modellers official website / HEL.MO. - Malta Spitfire Vs - 1942 Their Colours and Markings

The Malta Spitfire Vs - 1942. Their Colours and Markings from MMP Books shows her in the way ...

PP_H3.jpg

On the next page of the book the kite has the Red-White spinner.

Many thanks Wojtek, a couple of good references and I do like that Spit/Beau photo. It could be the publicity photo I've seen referred to in my reading as you can see how the Spit has been backed under the Beau and look how muddy the wheels are. This is definitely the camo I'm going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back