1/48 T-34/76 Kursk Armour Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Soviet T-34/76
Accessories: none

My entry for this GB is this Tamiya kit in 1/48 scale. Great simple little kit, nicely moulded with a cast metal hull. I must admit this is the first armour kit I have ever done, so bit of a break from the norm. I've cracked open the box, and here's whats inside.

The four decal choices with the kit don't mention the field of operation, so I'm not sure if they are appropriate to use for the Kursk build. I'll build it straight from the box, but leave the marking choice to the end, if I can confirm an option as taking part in the battle.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• box art - 002 resized.jpg
    box art - 002 resized.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 228
  • sprues - 001 resized.jpg
    sprues - 001 resized.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 205
  • sprues - 002 resized.jpg
    sprues - 002 resized.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 212
G'day

Thanks for the comments guys.

Progress thus far.

This little kit goes together so well, you could just cut the parts of the sprue, throw them in the box and give it a bit a shake! Excuse the lack of progress photos, it was that quick.

I mostly stuck to the Tamiya paint instructions using Tamiya enamels. XF-61 Dark Green for the body and XF-56 Metal Gray for the tracks.

Pic 1 Made a start of the wheels and other sub-assemblies like the fuel tanks and such. Added all the small bits to the hull. The front final drive is super glued to the metal chassis.

Pic 2 Sprayed all the wheels XF-61 and painted the rubber road tyres with dark gray using a hairy stick.

Pic 3 Added all the grab handles to the hull and sprayed hull, turrent and chassis XF-61. Made the towing cables from thread supplied in the kit and the plastic loop ends.

Pic 4 Wheels added to the Chassis.

Pic 5 Got the first track on. This is the drama bit if you are not careful. I had to add the tracks piece by piece, but not a problem in the end.

Well that's it so far. I have one more track to do, plus some more equipment to add to the hull. Then some weathering. This is a very enjoyable build. I haven't needed to get the filler or sand paper out once!

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• start 001 - resized.jpg
    start 001 - resized.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 211
  • first track - resized.jpg
    first track - resized.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 240
  • wheels on - resized.jpg
    wheels on - resized.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 198
  • parts - resized.jpg
    parts - resized.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 208
  • wheels painted - resized.jpg
    wheels painted - resized.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 209
Cheers guys

More progress this weekend on it. All assembled, the first three photos show a very new looking T-34 straight out the door of 'Factory 102' 8)

That's not exactly what I wanted, so to start I lightened the top coat with a 50/50 mix with white, heavily thinned. That's the next two photos.

Then I added the equipment. Boxes, cable and extra track pieces for added crew protection.

Next I sprayed on some dirt, mud and smoke using the air brush on low pressure until I got the effect I was after. The dirt and mud was various colours I mixed up specially for the purpose and used mainly around the wheels, tracks, guards and rear of the tank.

Next I gave the T-34 a wash here and there with some 'muck' I use for aircraft alighting gear.

Then I used the stuff in photo 6. I bought this stuff to try out for the tank. These armour guys have it easy don't they. :lol: Still I can see they could be useful for the odd aircraft or two, so I gave them a go.

Last photo is where I'm at now. A few more tweaks and bits and it will be ready for the finish.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• assem 001 - resized.jpg
    assem 001 - resized.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 186
  • assem 002 - resized.jpg
    assem 002 - resized.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 165
  • assem 003 - resized.jpg
    assem 003 - resized.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 244
  • assem 004 - resized.jpg
    assem 004 - resized.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 262
  • assem 005 - resized.jpg
    assem 005 - resized.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 178
  • weathering stuff.jpg
    weathering stuff.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 174
  • example 001- resized.jpg
    example 001- resized.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 185
That's looking the part Peter! Nice work mate. BTW, the spare track links were totally ineffective as added armour - APDS, HEAT or HEAP rounds wouldn't even notice them !

That's looking the part Peter! Nice work mate. BTW, the spare track links were totally ineffective as added armour - APDS, HEAT or HEAP rounds wouldn't even notice them !

Didn't know that. There's a few photos about of the Russians tucking them into the hand holds like I have done, but many others tankers have tried this.

Cheers

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back