1/48 Trumpeter MiG 3 (early) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks fellas!

Did a little something on the MiG yesterday. I'v read a few stories and seen a few pic's and profiles too where A/C beyond repair were cannibalized too keep other A/C flyable (probably during the desperate days of '41-'42). An interesting little visible example of this is the area I've put a red circle around. The other day I've seen a pic/profile (not exactly sure where I've seen it though) where part of the oil cooler intake on a green A/C was replaced by a bare-metal part stripped from a different A/C or maybe new spare part straight from the facory or something. Since the whole things looks rather green to my eye I figured it would be fun to add a little detail like that.

Also note that I've cut a few small bits and pieces from their sprues that are set to be cleaned up and put together. Another thing I want to do is slightly tone down the darker area's on the edges of the dark-green camo parts. It look quite alright now, but these things tend to jump out right at ya once a glossy/future coat goes on in preperation for decals. So it's therefore I want to slightly tone these area's down just to make sure the contrast isn't too big on the final thing.

Also, since I'm having a lot of fun doing some Ruski's I looked on my shelf of doom and came across an Eduard LA-7 weekend edition that is yet to be finished. Might be a good follow up to this MiG. I think I also have an Aeromaster sheets sitting somewhere covering some LA-7's. Not sure how accurate this sheet is (with errormaster being Aeromaster's nickname) but it sure has a few interesting subjects on it.

52-painting12.jpg

Last edited:
Also note that I've cut a few small bits and pieces from their sprues that are set to be cleaned up and put together. Another thing I want to do is slightly tone down the darker area's on the edges of the dark-green camo parts. It look quite alright now, but these things tend to jump out right at ya once a glossy/future coat goes on in preperation for decals. So it's therefore I want to slightly tone these area's down just to make sure the contrast isn't too big on the final thing.

Buddy I like it just the way it is now that is sharp!! I have some blue tacl but I'd be damn if I can ever ever get that stuff to stick :dontknow: is there something I am missing here?

@javlin:
I'm not sure if you're missing out on something, but over here in The Netherlands we have a few different brands of that tacky stuff here (from the el-cheapo stuff to the actual well known A-brands). One version is more tacky then another, at least that's my experience. I too have had situations where it doesn't work or doesn't come off (which is even worse then not sticking especially if you've worked your *ss of laying down a complicated pattern of sorts)

Last edited:
With a new project waiting in the wings it time to work towards wrapping this one up.

With the painting done it's time to move on to a gloss coat in preperation for decals. Kinda hard to see it, but I put a nice couple of coats of future on

53-glosscoat.jpg

In addition a number of small bits and pieces still had to be taken care of. Prop is done in Alclad Magnesium. Still thinking about doing a ragged black area to it, although plain Alclad looks good too.

Other bits include the landinggear and covers for the wheel wells. Still need to look into the wheels as they seem to neem a little putty, but that should work out alright. In the mean time the future coat can cure and dry for some 24-48 hours.
54-smallparts.jpg

Since the decal sheet wasn't exactly big with lot of stencils and the like I went into decalling after letting the future coat dry and cure for 2 days. I think a good bunch of those big red starts work extremely well on this rather green scheme. Decals went on with no problem whatsoever. The surface was also very suitable with no panel-lines or ridges whatsoever in the areas where the red stars had to be positioned. The "17" on both sides of the rudder also went on fine with despite those big ridges on the rudder surfaces. A little decal setting solution whas applied as necessary.

58-decals01.jpg

59-decals02.jpg

Another little thing I did was start some weathering on a few small parts. I've been trying to work with oil paints recently. I've been trying this for a few weeks but just couldn't get it to work for me. But this admin guy from a Dutch forum I also vistis quite a bit really mastered this technique and I asked him about it. So he was so kind to record a bit of an instruction vid and post it on YouTube so I and everybody else could watch how he did it. It's fairly simple actually once you've get the hang of it. These are my first 'live' results with this oil paint technique. Really works for me as it adds shades and dirtyness while picking out hightlights at the same time (by means of removing the oilpaint)
57-smeerzakkerij02.jpg

Looking really great. But still not sure if the one should look like the plane in the profile below.

The source..... MiG-3 White 17

Attachments

• white17.jpg
    white17.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 118
You're absolutely right about this not being the right colors. I've saved the doing of research for my ME/FW GB project ;) The profile that comes with the kit indeed shows an overall green a/c with a black nose, but I didn't like that too much, so that was that. Besides, the source you gave isn't backed by 100% clear photographic evidence, just a random pic of a captured and damaged MiG, from which a profile is deduced. A faint number can be seen on the tail, but I can't make out a '17' on it perse. So, to my mind this isn't exactly fool-proof evidence of how white 17 might have looked.

So, since this was pretty much a build 'for the sake of building a good looking model' and not with every rivet, bold and color in order to the milimeter I went ahead and gave it a camo pattern I liked, paired it with the kit decals, and voila, there you have it. I'm afraid that's as good as it gets with this build. I tend to do this quite a bit becaus I get fed up with tons of research piling up in my hobby room and on my PC when all I want to do is build a model (take the nightfighter for GB for example, been looking into that for the past three months, picked a wonderful kit, and still miss out on some essential details). As long as it's a technically solid build in a colorscheme I like, I'm good with it being a non-existing a/c or a scheme that originally doesn't go with the markings in real life

Last edited:
You're absolutely right about this not being the right colors. I've saved the doing of research for my ME/FW GB project ;) The profile that comes with the kit indeed shows an overall green a/c with a black nose, but I didn't like that too much, so that was that. Besides, the source you gave isn't backed by 100% clear photographic evidence, just a random pic of a captured and damaged MiG, from which a profile is deduced. A faint number can be seen on the tail, but I can't make out a '17' on it perse. So, to my mind this isn't exactly fool-proof evidence of how white 17 might have looked.

So, since this was pretty much a build 'for the sake of building a good looking model' and not with every rivet, bold and color in order to the milimeter I went ahead and gave it a camo pattern I liked, paired it with the kit decals, and voila, there you have it. I'm afraid that's as good as it gets with this build. I tend to do this quite a bit becaus I get fed up with tons of research piling up in my hobby room and on my PC when all I want to do is build a model (take the nightfighter for GB for example, been looking into that for the past three months, picked a wonderful kit, and still miss out on some essential details). As long as it's a technically solid build in a colorscheme I like, I'm good with it being a non-existing a/c or a scheme that originally doesn't go with the actual plane.

I grasp your point of view. No problem for me with that camo scheme though. Please keep going ....:)

Since this was pretty much a build 'for the sake of building a good looking model' and not with every rivet, bold and color in order to the milimeter I went ahead and gave it a camo pattern I liked, paired it with the kit decals, and voila, there you have it. I'm afraid that's as good as it gets with this build. I tend to do this quite a bit becaus I get fed up with tons of research piling up in my hobby room and on my PC when all I want to do is build a model (take the nightfighter for GB for example, been looking into that for the past three months, picked a wonderful kit, and still miss out on some essential details). As long as it's a technically solid build in a colorscheme I like, I'm good with it being a non-existing a/c or a scheme that originally doesn't go with the actual plane.

You must be that twin brother my mother told me about.I too will get the same way I am a builder who tries to build something that pleasing to the viewers eye.Alot of guys get into the history which is fine by me but I see a cool crate and wha-la :D

Well....first and foremost it has to stand in my showcase, so it better be something I like ;) On the other hand from time to time I do the research (every respect goes out to all the folks who do know their way around these research things btw. reading a few books works for me, but I wouldn't know how to go about looking in archives and stuff), look up the story, get technical and visual details (as best as I can anyway) on a particular a/c I want to do, but I keep a few less-researched projects next to it mostly to keep it interesting and not get fed up with the whole hobby all together.

Last edited:
Absolutely Crimea_River

Here you go. Don't mind the dumb title and music. He's a bit of a joker who likes to dramatize things from time to time. But you'll know what happens when you watch it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_G1C4aBhww

working with oilpaints to build it up as both a wash and filter at the same time. Nota that this was actually a test vid to figure out how equipement work and to get it youtube, but a more in-depth tutorial is in the works. I've also seen him do this on interiors. Works wonder there too. Just a plain regular intertior color and then add lots of depth, shades and dirtyness with the oilpaint. Will try that for sure on my BF-110 nightfighter

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back