1/48 Trumpeter MiG 3 (early) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Been a little silent in my MiG topic, but some work has been done this weekend.

Chipped the wingsroots, was apparently was very visible feature. A few small chipped area's will be added on other spots too, but this was the most challenging to make it look natural and random.
60-chippedwingroots.jpg

Then it was on the weathering the a/c with artist oils. A messy operation to say the least, but not too hard to do it, and the result looks pretty confincing to my eye (note this is the first time I'm doing it this way, so some refinement as I go along with other projects will hopefully happen, but the start looks pretty promising to me)
61-smeerzakkerij.jpg

62-smeerzakkerij02.jpg

63-smeerzakkerij03.jpg

64-smeerzakkerij04.jpg

65-smeerzakkerij05.jpg

66-smeerzakkerij06.jpg

Finally another session of working of various small bits and pieces. Naturally I forgot one, being the pitot-tube, but that'll be worked out too very soon. Not my fav work to do, but it has to happen.
67-kleinestukkies01.jpg

68-kleinestukkies02.jpg

Unfortunately no time this weekend to start on my BF-110 (although I did cut a few large parts from the sprues to see how these fit together (pretty good I might add) But as soon as that project kicks into a higher gear I'll put up pic's of it. First I want to get this one out of the way.

Looks smashing bud !!She is starting to get that look of a well flown A/C with each new installment.:thumbleft:

Thanks fellas. One more long haul (flat-coats, installing various bits and pieces and sub-assemblies and some exhaust stains etc.) should wrap this one up.

Okidoki....getting very close to bringing this one to a finish.

What has been done lately:
- Flat-coats went on (Modelmaster Acrylic)
- most of the small bits and pieces were installed
- wingtip lights were installed (and shortly after knocked off and eaten by carpetmonster :evil:)
-unpacked the windscreen/canopy clearparts

I won't use antennawire as I've read somewhere that especially the early MiG's did in fact have the possibility to install radio equipment, but in a lot of early cases this was done only partially or not at all, hence the aerial, but not wire.

The cover for the tailwheel will be left of. I've seen multiple pic's of MiG that seemed to have the tailwheel locked and doors removed.

Now I only need to install the landinglight and maybe work something out for the missing wingtip lights.

70-bijnakloar.jpg

69-bijnakloar.jpg

Looking great generally. An additional info , many early Migs were flown without the central part of the cockpit conopy often.

Wll done though. :thumbright:

Thanks guys!

[...]many early Migs were flown without the central part of the cockpit conopy often.
I know Wurger :), and I did consider it. But I didn't like the sight of that too much. Makes it kinda look like a 'Rata' on steroids. I think having the center-piece on complements the smooth streamlined look I like so much with these MiG's.

Last edited:
Great job! I know that post since 2011 nobody replies, but i wanna tell you that is a very good job. I´m workin in a Late version, i hope you can see mi work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back