1/48th Revell/Monogram B-17G "Yankee Lady"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Fellows! I tend to struggle with PE more than average, or at least it feels that way. I'd better get used to it, since I bought two sets of Eduard PE for a Trumpeter 1/32 ABM Avenger. My first foray into PE was when I used Campbell PE in the mid-80s when building a jacked-up Tamiya USS Enterprise. I built this for someone else. Then 5 years ago, built a fully detailed Tamiya 1:350 Missouri. On it was added about 1,000 pieces of PE, scratch-built items, laser-cut decks, etc. I built it while my grandson was doing some of his models in my shop, and it was the finish model I ever built. I was offered a place for it in the Captain's Cabin on the real Missouri in Pearl Harbor, except I had to get it there. I could come up with no viable way of getting it there in one piece (which I could afford) so it sits in a plexi case in my spare bedroom.

Finshed%20Superstructure.jpg

The above shows lots of the added goodies. All the overhanging gun pods have stanchions under them. Radio antenna feeds into the hull were made like the real ones. Running lights were added. Another flag bad was added behind the aft funnel, searchlights were drilled out with aluminum foil and epoxy lenses added. All masts are remade in brass so they would hold up for the long haul. I've seen fellows even go beyond this since there was even more elaborate PE available after I started, but this took 13 months and that was long enough.

Mo%20rear%20oblique.jpg

Mo%20front%20oblique.jpg

I used Eduard PE for most of the model, but had some significant troubles with the Eduard, so much that the sent me a full set as a replacement. Eduard uses a pretty hard brass and then they etch wherever the bends were supposed to be. The brass was 0.010", but the etched bends were only 0.005". It was so brittle that some of the parts failed while still on the frets. It took my four tries and three different manufacturers to successfully create those delicate catapults. The model depicts the Missouri at a specific point in time, between the Surrender signing on her decks in August 1945 and arriving at Pearl Harbor some time later. In that period, the deck blued painted decks were stripped back to natural teak, and the 20mm gun emplacements flanking #2 turret were removed. I had the laser-decks made with this area blanked. The navy blue below the sheer line was still preserved at that time, but the full hull was painted Navy in Pearl Harbor. When the ship appeared for Navy Day in NYC in October 1945. It also had all of its late WW2 radar suite.

Now, back to the B-17

Spent the entire day filling, sanding and filling again. At the LHS (Scale Reproductions Inc.) I bought paint and two kinds of filler. I was using the water-based Vallego filler, but I find that a) it shrinks and b) dries too slowly for my impatience. I bought Squandon White and Tamiya. Both are solvent-based and cure quickly. I had used Squadron Green for years and had also used Testor's White, but never Tamiya's. Of the two, Tamiya wins the contest. It doesn't appear to shrink, it's very smooth and creamy with very find grain size, and dries very quickly.

Where I did use the Squadron was a fairly large gap between the resin rear turret and the fuze. But due to its graininess, I went back and did a second coat with the Tamiya. Again, due to the age of this model (copyright 1975) the seams needed a lot of work. The biggest problem was misalignment with one side being low. I filled that last crack above the windscreens after I took this picture.

Filler.jpg

I didn't have any liquid mask, and I didn't want to use masking tape on all the windows because, frankly, I was afraid of the tape pulling some of the more delicate ones out of position, so I decided to try an experiment. I took some Aleen's Tacky Glue and put it on a scrap piece of clear styrene. From experience I know that PVA cements don't really stick well to styrene. The test patch pulled off in one piece and cleanly so I went ahead and painted the windows with it. Before doing all the windows, I test pulled the dried PVA from one of the little square windows and again it pulled off perfectly. So, if you need a quick and dirty mask, you can use PVA adhesives, especially the thicker ones.

Tacky%20Glue%20Masks.jpg

As you can also see, I stuffed went paper towels into various spaces to block overspray from getting inside. I also masked the bomb bay since that was also wide open. It took two to three applications of filler to bring the fuze to a point where painting could be done.

While the fuze filler was curing I started working on the wings. They too required a couple of applications especially around the nacalle joints which were very poor. I also prepared and glued the horizontal stabs in place using tube cement helped with medium CA.

Ready%20for%20paint.jpg

I had to add one more piece to each wing: the inboard engine exhaust bypass header that ultimately leads to the turbo-chargers. I also masked around the landing gear and blocked access to the wheel wells since that's painted interior green. Note that I didn't block the tail gunner or waist gunner holes since the interior there is the same color as the exterior will be.

Just before quitting for the day I saw a big gap at the bottom joints of the horizontal stabs. I slathered some filler into these gaps and will sand them prior to painting tomorrow.

Last%20bit%20of%20filler.jpg

Love the Missouri model and your account of the various trials you are encountering. I tend to shut up about all the fails (and there are plenty) and just post the successes. Presently working on a USS Princeton model with hundreds of PE bits so can relate to what you are saying. I've not really had any trouble with Eduard PE. The White Ensign stuff I'm using on the Princeton seems to have come in two different thicknesses, both of which are relatively easy to work with and some of which is so stupidly small and yet out of scale that I've decided to forego installing it.

I've not yet heard of your PVA glue masking technique and am now intrigued. Thanks fro the tip!

As an old teacher and a as person who's entire professional life was dedicated to imparting skills to others, I understand that most of our best learning comes from recovery from difficulties. Just seeing the finished products, while emotionally gratifying, leaves the viewer with lots of questions. This level of detail was introduced to me from the RC Scalemodelers forum where some of the best scale flying aircraft in the world (literally) cover all the gory details of building (and maybe flying) of builds that transcend years. I posted by B-17 build there and found that it was enjoyable for me as well as informative for the readers.

Today was the first painting day! So far, the Aleen's is holding up in its masking duties. First up today was stuffing the engine cowls with wet facial tissue and then CA'ing them to the wings. I was contemplating painting them off the model, but quickly disabused myself of that idea since the anti-glare needs to line up.

Engines%20on.jpg

After wiping the whole deal with a paper towel with alcohol, I started painting the Vallejo Natural Metal. My only complaint about this paint is it's very fragile. As I was handling the model for further masking, I was damaging the already painted areas. But it looks really good.

After the paint set up, I sprayed the areas to be painted olive drab with Dullcoat to protect the paint a bit when masking. I masked all the anti-glare areas including the upper nose, and the interior upper facing nacelles. After looking at some pictures of the actual Yankee Lady I still need to add a bit more O.D. surface. The kit's instructions show this going around 180°. I was only bringing it around the midline. It actually goes around the nacelle until its tangent to the lower lip of the leading edge. I'll add that bit tomorrow.

Narrow Tamiya tape was used first followed by 3M Blue and packing paper.

Engines%20Masked.jpg

I airbrushed all the parts and pulled the tape. I found one little spot that I missed. I'm going to have to shoot some more silver to touch up some damage so I can pick that spot up.

Engine%20Anti-glare%202.jpg

The nose painting came out nicely.

Anti-glare.jpg

Here's an example of the fragility of thise paint. Some was pulled off the cowl. I'm hoping that after coating with Pledge acrylic that it will toughen it up. I'm going to do this before decaling and any weathering.

Delicate%20metal.jpg

So here are all the parts ready for the next step.

Painting%20first%20steps.jpg

Regarding weathering. The Yankee Lady is an exhibition aircraft and is very clean. In looking at pictures, I see some slight exhaust streaks coming from the waste gate and around the edges of the turbo compartment. On the wing tops you can see here that there is very little staining of any kind. A lot B-17 builders like to streak from those four little slots behind the engine nacelles on the wing tops. All that comes out of them is air. They are air exits from the turbo intercoolers. Unless there was some kind of leak in the wing, normally fumes or oil shouldn't be passing out of them. The other area needing some discoloration is the skin immediatly behind the cowl flaps. I just bought some Tamiya Clear Smoke just for this application.

There's some more paining needed. The tail (minus the rudder) and wing tips (minus the Aileron) are inisgnia red. There are wide demarcation strips on the wings. For the strips, I'm going to paint some decal film and then apply that to the model.

b17-yankee-lady.jpg

Right! Well... I think I figured it out. After taking the overhead image into Adobe Illustrator and finding out that the wing chord at the root was 19 feet, I measured the wing and the stripe in Illustrator and figured out the ratio between the two and it comes out to something over 11", so figuring the strips are 1 foot is a good estimate (1/4" in 1:48) and I'm going to go that route. I'm going to spray black on decal film and then cut my own decal stripes to apply to the wings.

Looking good. Regarding he paint fail, adding coats over top a weak bond won't usually help in a pull away situation so don't rely too much on this stopping your masking tape from pulling the paint off. Once there's a bad bond, it will separate, no matter how many coats you put over it since all the good bonds will stick to the tape rather than the bad substrate.

You're right. The paint on the styrene seems bonded okay, just a bit delicate. The paint of the resin cowls might be the problem. I used an alcohol wash on them to remove any mold release, but that may not have been enough.

Today is a rare Sunday input since I have a deal with my wife that no model or train work goes on during the weekend.

After figuring that the wing walk stripes are 12" scale, I decided the best approach would be to make decals of them. I have both clear and white-backed inkjet decal film, so I decided to lay them out and make them myself rather than masking and painting them. Here's the process

1. Took an overhead picture of the wing and noted the overall length and width (11 13/16" X 4 3/4"
  2. I imported (placed) the image into Adobe Illustrator and after carefully aligning it square with the art board's edge, I put it on the bottom layer of the drawing and locked it.
  3. I added another layer and on it drew an un-filled rectangle with the same dimensions as the wing.
  4. I stretched the wing picture equally in both directions (in Illustrator holding the shift key while pulling a corner) and once it matched the rectangle I drew, I locked the imported image's layer. I now knew that the screen image size was the same as the model's wing.
  5. Using the actual plane's picture showing the stripes, I drew the 1/4" wide stripes to match the picture.

Wing%20Stripe%20Layout.png

6. I cut up this images (Digitally) so I would have several inter-connecting pieces and then copied and pasted them to another art board on the screen. I laid them out logically and labeled them as to left or right wing. To make the right wing's decals I mirrored the left design.

B-17%20Wing%20Stripe%20Decal%20layout.png

7. I took a test print and found that some of the stripes were not perfectly horizontal leading to the edges having some very slight stair steps. To align them, I laid down guidelines that were in perfect contact with one corner, and then rotated the other corner to coincide with the guide lines. I then duplicated the entire array so I'd have two sets in case I screw a decal up.
  8. After printing out the decals, I gave them a clear coat of Tamiya clear lacquer since inkjet ink is water soluble. It would all wash off in the decal soaking water.

B-17%20Wing%20Stripe%20Decal.jpg

9. I know from experience, that this brand of inkjet decal film can't handle Solvaset decal setting solution. It works okay with Microsol.
Tomorrow, I touch up the aluminum, fix the anti-glare panel shape on the wings, and then clear coat the silver before getting into painting the red panels and decaling including these newly created stripes.

Great work! I've heard other complaints regarding the fragility of Vallejo finishes and not just the metallic colors.

Thanks guys! The Vallejo is a struggle as you'll see in today's post.

I just realized yesterday, that if I want to deliver this plane to my commissioner and we're leaving on Thursday, I only have 3 days to finish it. So today I put the pedal to the metal and got into more finishing steps.

First up was fixing those slightly inaccurate nacelle anti-glare panels. The inner ones needed to go further over the top and both had to go around the bottom more. I didn't want to airbrush since this involves a whole lot more masking, so I just masked the lines and brush painted it. I had a lot of leakage due to the non-stickiness of that Vallejo silver paint.

Mask%20Leakage.jpg

I was worried that the alcohol-based silver would dissolve the alcohol-based Tamiya and not give me a good cover, so I first brushed on some Testor's Dullcoat lacquer to act as a barrier and then hand painted the silver. After a back and forth between silver and O.D. I got a nice clean line.

Next was painting the fabric-covered control surfaces a light Tamiya Sky Gray. In looking at the photos of the Yankee Lady I saw a different color and clearly not metalic. Again, I masked the line and brush painted it. Again, that silver paint caused some problems and I had to do a lot of touch up. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend the Vallejo Liquid Metal paint. It is much too perishable and I'm not the gentlist worker so I'm having to fix it all the time. Tamiya silver holds up better and dries harder.

I started masking for the red wing tips and all those red tail feathers. I got the wing tips masked, but then had to take #2 grandson to a piano lesson. Since my time is so compressed I asked for and got special dispensation to work for an hour in the basement after dinner.

Wing%20Tip%20Mask.jpg

Tail%20Mask%202.jpg

The 3M blue tape is too agressive for the Vallejo paint and, as you'll see, pulled a lot of silver off in the de-masking process. So I was able to airbrush the red trim too.

Tail.jpg

In these two pictures you can see the difference in texture painting the control surfaces flat gray makes to the appearance. I used Tamiya flat red for these panels.

Wing%20tips.jpg

Here's the completed nacelles. The paints have different sheens, but it doesn't matter since there's going to be another clear gloss coat of Future (or Tamiya gloss), decalling, and then a flat clear, so any difference in gloss will be negated.

Anti-glare%20fix.jpg

The only problem with using the Pledge Floor Finish (with Future) is its ridiculously slow drying time. It really takes a full 24 hours or more, and I don't have that luxury. On the other hand, the Tamiya gloss dries very fast. I have to mask and hand-paint the de-icing boots and then hand paint the exhaust headers and turbos. I need to rig the radio antennas with E-Z Line, and then there's a raft of decals to go on. Can I do this all in two days... hmmmm?

I'm going to make the deadline (I think) since I got to go back downstairs again last night and got the de-icing boots done. This enabled me to go back down this morning and shoot some clear coat on the tail and tips so decals can be applied sooner.

IMG_5527.jpg

Once again, the tape pulled its share of paint off the surface requiring a bunch of re-touching, but I got it all done.

IMG_5529.jpg

Now, I'm sitting here having coffee and watching political television. In a bit, I'll go down to work and get more done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back