1/48th scale Wessex HAR.2, 22 (SAR) Sqn, RAF Valley, 1990.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much indeed chaps, it's very much appreciated. Made a start on the cabin interior detail, might have some pics tomorrow.

Most of the main detail has been done on the port cabin wall, although a little more will be added once the floor and bulkheads are in place. Only a very small amount of detail will be added to the starboard wall, as this can't be seen, except at certain angles through the windows on the opposite side, and then only vaguely.
I've also made a start on the nylon web seats.
PIC 1. Cabin wall on port side, with the wiring bundle added, junction boxes, hydraulic hose, and the warm air ducting. The wiring passes through the rear bulkhead and, at the forward end, it will be extended across the upper cross member, onto the starboard wall.
PIC 2. The metal tube and nylon web seats for the port side under construction, using plastic rod and lead foil from a pain-killers sachet.
PIC 3. The same seats almost finished and partly painted. The long 'straps' at the top fold over the horizontal support tube which runs from the rear bulkhead to an anchor on the cabin wall, and this will be done once the seats are attached to the floor. Lap belts will also be added at this time. On troop carrying Wessex, the seats on this side extended all the way forward to the front bulkhead , but only the rear sections are fitted to Rescue aircraft, to allow more room for equipment, and handling rescued personnel. A similar set of seats has yet to be constructed for the starboard side, and a single seat for the winch operator/navigator, just forward of the cabin door
Thanks again for your continued interest - more soon.

Attachments

• Wessex Build 063.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Wessex Build 065.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Wessex Build 066.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 89
Thanks guys. I wasn't happy with the first set of seats, mainly due to using the wrong gauge plastic rod for the legs. So I've relegated them to the starboard side, where they'll be to the rear of the door, with only the front edge showing, and one small section of webbing visible through the window. A new set has now been made to fit on the port side, and the cabin and detail have been painted, along with the cockpit walls.
I hope to get the seats installed, and most of the cockpit and the cabin roof done tomorrow, so I'll post some pics then.

Thanks very much John.
Some progress with the interior has been made, although there are still some areas to attend to.
PICS 1 and 2. The cabin and cockpit walls painted, and the details picked out. The rather rough 'wash' has since been toned down!
PICS 3 and 4. The seats being installed, and the cabin floor painted. I decided against taking the time to add lap belts, as they won't be seen, from any angle!
PIC 5. The rear of the cockpit area, which faces into the cabin, showing the red electrical junction box and wiring, and the quilted cladding around the rotor shaft housing. The latter, again made from lead foil pressed on my tool case, has yet to be painted pale green.
PICS 6 and 7. Some scratch-built detail is in the process of being added to the cockpit, with switch panels, knobs and levers, and the port collective lever, made from plastic card, rod and shaped stretched sprue, and the foil quilted padding.
Next step is to add the rest of the cockpit detail, then make the seat frames and seats, before installing the instrument panel, which will have the pedals added from plastic rod.
Thanks once again for your kind comments, and I'll post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• Wessex Build 071.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Wessex Build 072.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Wessex Build 078.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Wessex Build 091.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Wessex Build 084.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Wessex Build 089.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Wessex Build 090.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 87
Thanks very much John, Karl and Andy.
The seats must be convincing enough then Karl, if they remind you of the joys of travelling in a Wessex!
Since you mentioned it, I remember those tubular frames digging in, and having numb legs when having to abseil or fast rope from the cabin!

Users who are viewing this thread