1/48th scale Wessex HAR.2, 22 (SAR) Sqn, RAF Valley, 1990.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I say old boy, bl**dy 'ell, looks very much dogs sphericals, top drawer, smashing work on the details guv'ner....carry on!

Damn me Terry , this is just magnificent.

One thought that struck me with the exhausts was to use a plastic tube of the right external dimensions i.e. from a pump spray or something similar, heat bend it to the 12o and then if possible, drill out the open end to as thin a wall as you can manage.

Thank very much indeed guys, it's very much appreciated.
Vic, that was the original plan, and might be 'Plan B' if the brass tube fails. There's time yet, as the nose cowlings are a separate sub-assembly, which means I can come back to the exhausts before fitting the modified nose, allowing me to proceed with the rest of the construction. In fact, thinking about it, I might use plastic tube for the 'bent' part of the exhaust, with brass tube for the actual outlet, glued onto the plastic with CA or epoxy. That would also create the natural seam. Now why didn't I think of that earlier - easy peasy !

To be honest I don't know when and what it can be. I'm ill at the moment and spending most of the time in a bed. Unfortunately I cought the flu. Today it's the first day ( after a week of being knocked flat) I'm better.

Sorry to hear that my friend, but good to know you're starting to feel better. I was like that a week ago - no energy, and felt like s*** !

I've now got the interior finished, apart from making and adding the instrument cowl and the cockpit roof switch panels, and the fuselage halves have been joined.
PIC 1. Some emergency and rescue kit has been added to the cabin, with, from left to right, a dinghy pack, winch strop, resuscitation oxygen bottle, and paramedic kit. I also cheated, and drew the lap belts onto the bench seats! They can only just be seen at certain angles, and are more than passable.
PIC 2. The cabin roof panel, with the quilting again made from pressed foil - it looks more grey in this shot, but is actually light green. The grey bar is the static line rail, used for the 'monkey harness' safety straps on rescue aircraft, and a strap has been made from painted foil and copper wire. The white 'spot' is the opaque cover for the cabin light.
PIC 3. The roof installed. This didn't run the entire length of the cabin, with the rear section being open frames, with the tunnel duct enclosing the tail rotor shaft visible.
PIC 4. The tail rotor shaft duct was made from a piece of 'Evergreen' tube, cut and notched, and painted, before being glued in place. Again, this is only just visible when looking into the cabin, but its omission would be noticeable.
PIC 5. This is where it's up to so far.
Next step is to modify and fit the gear box covers and the rear fairing over the tail rotor shaft, then work on the cockpit roof switch panels, before moving on to the tricky bit - the new nose.
Thanks again for your compliments and continued interest, and I'll post another up-date after doing some more work on the Tornado for the current GB.

Attachments

• Wessex Build 150.jpg
    Wessex Build 150.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Wessex Build 156.jpg
    Wessex Build 156.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Wessex Build 161.jpg
    Wessex Build 161.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Wessex Build 164.jpg
    Wessex Build 164.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Wessex Build 171.jpg
    Wessex Build 171.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 71
Okay the first words out of my mouth were with respect to the the "FIRST AID" kit, and they were "How the F*ck did he do that?".

And Airframes, how did the pilots enter the cockpit with the seats suspended like that?

Answer to first question; The 'boxes' are the remains of the cockpit seats, faced with plastic card and sanded to shape (waste not, want not!). The wording was simply scratched in to the paint with the tip of a compass point. The wording on the dinghy box reads "Beaufort", 'Life Raft, 4 man', plus a lot of spots simulating smaller text.
Answer to question two; cockpit access was via steps on the outside, mounted on the landing gear, and the fuselage walls. With the co-pilot's seat in the folded position, it was possible to stand in the cabin with head and shoulders in the cockpit, and it was just about possible to wriggle up into the cockpit, drop the seat, and sit down - but it hurt to do so, as I found out once!

Okay the first words out of my mouth were with respect to the the "FIRST AID" kit, and they were "How the F*ck did he do that?".

And Airframes, how did the pilots enter the cockpit with the seats suspended like that?

Terry...........you never fail to impress sir!:notworthy:
And Wojtek, sorry you were down but glad to here you're on the mend sir.:thumbleft:

Agree with the gentlemen old boy! Knowing the state that you be in, pain, stiff, etc., I'm impressed and humbled by your creativity and abilities, hat's off to you guv'ner! :notworthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back