1/48th scale Wessex HAR.2, 22 (SAR) Sqn, RAF Valley, 1990.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much indeed, David and Vic.
I'm just working on the final bits for now, before getting back to the Tornado properly. I also have to wait for a block of balsa to arrive, so that I can make the mould for the new nose, so no further work on the Wessex until that's done.
The gear box housing covers are in place, along with the rear louvre fairing, both of which need some work, and there are a few more small modifications to do before proceeding further.
PIC 1. The gear box housing, the fit of which is not perfect. Once set, this will have the joints attended to, although each side panel hinged down to form a work platform, so the bottom joint will be re-engraved. They look worse here, as black paint from the inside is showing along the joint lines. Those heavy rivets will also be toned down a lot!
PIC 2. The louvred cover should have a space between the fins on each side, and this is shown being filed here. A thin plastic strip will be cemented in place to create the 'flat' central panel.
PIC 3. Although Revell provide excellent 'blown' transparencies for the cockpit window/entry hatches, the frames are moulded as part of the fuselage. As the starboard side hatch will be posed open, the frame will have to be removed, a job which couldn't be done before joining the fuselage, for risk of damage due to the flexing of the frame. A new frame will be constructed around the transparent part, and the slide tracks added to the fuselage. There are also a few details whcih need to b removed, and others added - and the plastic cleaned of dirty finger marks etc !!
Thanks once again for your kind comments, and I'll post another up-date when work proceeds.
EDIT: Crossing posts - thanks very much Wayne !

Attachments

• Wessex Build 176.jpg
    Wessex Build 176.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Wessex Build 172.jpg
    Wessex Build 172.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Wessex Build 175.jpg
    Wessex Build 175.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I've been lurking in the background on this build. What a job you're doing on it, I sure have to hand it to you for the care in detail.

I did aircrew training in the HSS-1 / SH-34J as a sonar operator. My o my, when I started we had the roll of paper that burned traces in it for tracking contacts. Now it sounds like it was a time they used slabs of slate for rotor blades. Been looking for a 1/48 Revell -34 kit to do as HS-4, they are hard to find.

Keep up the good work, goes without sayin!

Thanks Matt and Wojtek.
The window frame and other unwanted mouldings have new been removed, and work has started on the detail for the cockpit roof.
PIC 1. The window frame removed and the aperture enlarged, with the correct shape at the lower forward edge. A thin upper frame has been added from stretched sprue, which will fit onto the base of the cockpit roof transparency, and the wind deflector, on the forward pillar, has been added, also from stretched sprue. This will be sanded when fully set, to blend the angles, and remove the scratch marks on the fuselage sides. The bottom hole for the large hand hold provided in the kit has been filled, and awaits sanding. A smaller hand hold will be made and fitted much later, and also a similar handle at the base of the forward edge of the window. The window slide rail has been added, and will be sanded 'flat' once fully set.
PICS 2 and 3. The windscreen transparency has been masked inside and out, to protect it whilst fitting the exterior and internal detail.
PIC 4. The fairing over the upper front panel has been added from plastic card, and will be sanded to shape once set. On this Mark of Wessex, after avionics updates, the Perspex central panel in the roof was replaced by alloy panels, with the 'bulge' at the front.
PIC 5. The bases for the roof switch panels have been added, along with the rotor clutch cylinder and lever, and will be detailed with switches, radio leads etc later. The transparency will then be re-masked, and the internal frames painted matt black. The exterior will be masked also, ready for painting later, and the part fitted to the cockpit, along with the port window, in the closed position. (The starboard window aperture will be masked, and the window fitted, in the open position, near the end of the build.)
Thanks again for your interest and compliments, and I'll post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• Wessex Build 179.jpg
    Wessex Build 179.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Wessex Build 180.jpg
    Wessex Build 180.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Wessex Build 181.jpg
    Wessex Build 181.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Wessex Build 184.jpg
    Wessex Build 184.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 69
  • Wessex Build 187.jpg
    Wessex Build 187.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Bill - looks like we were posting at the same time.
I'm never very good with U.S. aircraft numbers - was that the same as the S-55, the one we licence-built as the Whirlwind? The old Revell kit can still be found, and in fact I think I've seen it somewhere recently. I converted one of them to the later Gnome-engined Whirlwind HAR 10 about 20 something years ago, but it got destroyed in a house move.

Airframes, I screwed up. I have changed your title from HAR2 to HAR.2. I'm sure you were too humble to correct me. Please don't make that mistake twice. :toothy5: My wife corrects me all the time and I don't take offense. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back