1/48th Spitfire Vc, 136 Sqn, Burma, 1943-44.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good mate, good lord, how good it could be with a set of good mits?

Shame about Humbrol, they haven't been readily available here in the states for quite a while.

Lots of progress in an uninterupted session, with just a few areas of clean up to do before adapting the cannons and stub fairings from the old Hobbycraft MlXIV kit, then moving on to the painting stage.
PIC 1. The wing is on, although the port joint shows a tiny gap, I believe common to the Tamiya Spitfire kits, and is easily filled with superglue or PVA.
PIC 2. The hole for the gun camera has been drilled in the wing root. Note the plugged hole further outboard, where some numpty drilled in the wrong place ! The wing and root joints have been filled with superglue, and await sanding in this pic.
PIC 3. The fuselage joints have been sanded, but not yet polished, and two depressions drilled behind the fuel filler, representing the static vents. The filler cap will be added later.
PIC 4. The rudder actuator has been added, from stretched sprue, and awaits tidying.
PIC 5. The early elevators as provided in the kit.
PIC 6. In the process of being modified to the later type, with enlarged mass balance. The original engraving has been filled with superglue, and is in the process of being sanded smooth.
PIC 7. The ugly Vokes tropical filter in place, and the joints in the process of being sanded and polished.
PIC 8. Wing tips and tail-planes on, cannons next.
Thanks again for the compliments, and I'll post another up-date in the next day or so.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 067.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 067.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Bob Cross Spit V 068.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 068.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Bob Cross Spit V 070.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 070.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Bob Cross Spit V 071.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 071.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Bob Cross Spit V 072.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 072.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Bob Cross Spit V 073.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 073.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Bob Cross Spit V 074.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 074.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Bob Cross Spit V 076.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 076.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 93
Thanks chaps.
Wojtek my friend, yes, they had the later, enlarged mass balance elevators with the introduction of the 'C' wing, although it's possible some converted on the production line from 'B' variant still had the earlier elevators. Later production MkVb aircraft also could be seen with the later elevator, rather like early and late MkIXs.
Got the first stage of fitting the cannons done. The cannons themselves were sourced from a Hobbycraft MkXIV I converted to a PR19 about 20 years ago, and I was going to use the stub fairings also. However, when filing the latter to the correct shape, they both went 'ping', never to be seen again!
The pic shows the cannon fairings in place, and roughly blended to the wing with superglue. The stub fairings have been roughly cut from the 'short' cannon fairings from the ICM kit, and will be filed and sanded to shape when fully set, which I hope to do tomorrow.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 079.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 079.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 101
Nearly ready for the painting stage.
PIC 1. The stub fairings have been roughly filed to shape, and given a coat of light grey primer to check the profile. Further sanding will now be done to get the correct, domed shape. The cannon fairings will also be gently sanded to remove the remains of the moulding marks, shown up by the primer.
PIC 2. Those areas which have been modified, and all joints and seams, have been given a rough, brushed primer coat to show any imperfections, which will be addressed. Once this is done, the primed areas will be gently sanded smooth, and the model masked as required and primed overall, using the underside colour, Medium Sea Grey, airbrushed.
Thanks again for your interest, more soon.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 080.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 080.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Bob Cross Spit V 082.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 082.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back