1/72 Academy A6M5, 221st Kokutai, 312th Hikotai, October 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Hey folks,

Here's my first IJN aircraft build for my BOLG series, the A6M5b Zero of the 221st Kokutai which was based in the Philippines in October 1944. The original kit was the 1/72 Academy A6M5c Zero, but was converted to a b-version by plugging the outboard gun ports, leaving the 20mm cannon mounts in both wings and deleting the rocket racks;

Colors were Mr Hobby acrylics IJN Nakajima Green, IJN Grey for overall colors, and black for the cowling. Propellers were colored in aluminum and hull red. Chipping was done with Alclad II lacquer aluminium carefully applied on panel corners. Weathering was done with an oil wash and Mr Hobby weathering pastels. Paint scratches were done with a silver colored pencil.

Decals used were from the original kit and with DIY decals for the tail codes. The aerial antenna was from a .15mm fishing line.

This was a relatively OOB project, with very little effort involved in putting together, except for the wing and fuselage connection underneath, which required some creative putty work and sanding.

zeronameplate_01.jpg

a6m5_zero_1.jpg

a6m5_zero_2.jpg

a6m5_zero_5.jpg

a6m5_zero_4copy.jpg

a6m5_zero_3.jpg

a6m5_zero_7.jpg

BOLGadversaries_1.jpg

Last edited:
Two great looking planes. Hard to believe you have all that detail on 1/72 scale planes. Very very impressive

thanks dirk... i can't keep bigger scale kits sir...space constraints...ergo 1/72 scale kits...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back