1/72 Battle of Britain RAF Airfield Diorama (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry for the lack of further progress but I have been very unwell the past 2-3 weeks.I am on the mend now and hope to have some more work complete on this project very soon.
Ian,the grass was done by using a mixture of green and yellow 'grass' which is used in model railway dioramas.Firstly I sprayed the area with Scenic Cement (made by Woodland Scenics) then sprinkle on a thin layer of the grass mix.After an hour I re-spray the area and continue adding layer.3 layers did the trick for me and I finished off with another fine spray to make sure there were no loose bits.
If you use any balsa in the dio be careful not to get any spray on it as I found that part of my balsa base started to lift as the scenic cement soaked into it.
You can brush on the cement for the smaller areas but the final coat really needs to be sprayed on to avoid any loose bits of grass falling off.
Hope that helps.
Time to get back on track.
Cheers,
Tony.

Thanks for ur good wishes guys,I'm much better now.

Some more progress pics at last!

Here is the Blenheim as it currently stands -

p1080515.jpg

I have just discovered that the 2 canopy sections at the very front are not in the box!! :evil:
I was considering getting a vacuform set anyway and now I realy have to.

Here are the 3 Spitfires awaiting paint.

p1080516.jpg

I have cut out the side door from each model which has been painted and will be stuck back on in the open position later on.
Panel fits aren't the best with these kits,more putty required (sigh)

I gave the resin oil drums a coat of olive drab.I will dry-brush some weathering/rust onto these.

p1080517y.jpg

Cheers,
Tony.[/img]

Coming along great Tony, where the heck did you get all those oil drums.......................

Coming along great Tony, where the heck did you get all those oil drums.......................
Company called Millicast in Scotland, $5 for 15 drums.8)

Some progress pics finally,been struggling to find the time to really attack this project -

2 of the Spitfires on the grass.All 3 Spits need canopies,wheels and decals.

p1080551.jpg

Blenheim in service area and Spit in the pen -

p1080552x.jpg

-Matador is taking shape

p1080554r.jpg

Wider view showing the entire diorama -

p1080555n.jpg

Cheers,
Tony.

Last edited:
Howdy folks,
It's been way way too long since I posted here and ,after many months of toil,I have sort of finished my diorama -

p1080893l.jpg

p1080894c.jpg

Pilot's Hut made from styrene sheeting -

p1080895b.jpg

Oil Drum storage area with camo netting -

p1080896.jpg

Spitfire of 234 Squadron with ground crew being re-armed -

p1080897d.jpg

Another Spit in an 'E-Pen' also being re-armed

p1080898.jpg

Bristol Blenheim Mk IV being fueled by a Matador refueler truck -

p1080899.jpg

p1080900f.jpg

Another view of the dio -

p1080901.jpg

and another -

p1080902h.jpg

Now all the main stuff is complete,I can just add little details whenever I like.I want to make a windsock,a car from the era and some various little props (newspapers,a dog maybe,etc)
Sorry I've been such a stranger,I hope to rectify that.

Cheers,
Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back