1/72 Battle of Britain RAF Airfield Diorama (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tonyb

Senior Airman
Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
I have begun to build a 1/72 scale diorama depicting an RAF airfield from the Battle of Britain.
This is for a Group Build on another forum.I won't say which one but the predominant kit manufacturer in the first photo may give you a clue..:lol:
My dio will feature Spitfire Mk1's of 234 Squadron and a Blenheim MkIV of 236 Squadron which were both based at Middle Wallop and St.Eval during the battle.I'm not going to even pretend to be replicating either airfield with any great accuracy but I did at least want one with the correct squadrons together.

Firstly here is what I am using in my diorama -

RAF Airfield set,2x Spitfire Mk1 sets and a Blenheim MkIV

p1080475.jpg

Extras including camo-netting,oil drums,squadron markings and vacuform canopies (I want open canopies)

p1080476.jpg

Been working most the day on the blast-pen from the airfield set -

p1080477w.jpg

Also added a service area for the Blenheim using balsa wood -

p1080478f.jpg

Dio is 1200mm by 450mm.The 'concrete' is stone effects paint in 'riverrock grey'.
The base coat for the grass is this stuff -

p1080480.jpg

I plan to have 1 Spit in the pen and 2 more on the grass at bottom right of the dio.
There will be a gravel road from the pen to the top right of the dio and the top right area will have a pilots hut and oil drum storage (covered by camo-netting)
The Matador will be fueling the Blenheim.
I'm having a rest now,been a busy day. :D
Cheers,
Tony.

Me too! I've been wanting to do a large diorama in 1/72nd scale for many years, even built and converted the Airfix control tower - about 20 years ago - which is sitting on a shelf. I haven't got the room at my place, but one of these days...!
Does the airfield kit come with the blast pen parts, and the hut? I believe one of the Airfix kits, I think the USAAF airfield accessories, has a Nissen hut, which could be useful.
I made ground-crew huts from scratch, and from model railway kits, ready for my bomber airfield, and had it all planned - but that was when I had a wife, a house and a lot of room !!

Tony me old mate, this is going to be worth watching, a top project.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :D,

First layer of grass is down -

p1080491x.jpg

The pilots hut will be scratchbuilt from match sticks and balsa wood.
Cheers,
Tony.

Cool! can't wait to see how this works out! Started one for the Luftwaffe years ago and never finished. Love to see this one.

Don't know if this pic will help ya any.

Attachments

• Battle-1LG.jpg
    Battle-1LG.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 360
Cheers guys,
I started work on the Blenheim today.Not one of the best kits especially the cockpit detail (or lack of..) so I have been adding bits myself using styrene sheet.An improvement I hope! -

p1080495.jpg

p1080496.jpg

p1080497s.jpg

Fuselage assembly done which wasn't the best fit so may require some minor surgery (filler)

p1080502b.jpg

p1080504.jpg

Also did the gravel track on the dio base -

p1080498c.jpg

Cheers,
Tony.

I love the way you have layed down the fake grass which i must say is a much better
effort than my previous grass dio's must learn better by following any tips you would
be willing to share in making grass look like grass and not just a sheet of green stuff.

ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back