1/72 Daimler-Benz Spitfire EN830

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not sure i'm happy with the fuselage. I think the RLM70 should have covered the entire fuselage including the sides. Comments, suggestions?

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Taking two steps backward

I was test fitting the prop from the Me109 and found that it didn't fit right. It was much too big. I thought a quick fix would be to add the prop from the Bf110 as it went with the nose originally. It didn't look right so i'm forced to do some reshaping of the nose which should have been done prior to the paint. Live and learn.

So here is how I'm fixing this. I put the Bf109 back plate in place and using Squadron Green filler I reshaped the nose to match the backplate.

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

Till next time:oops:

I thought I'd take a moment to finish off the story of this Frank-in-Spit. Again this info was taken from "Unreal Aircraft"

After the Spitfire was taken to Sindelfingen Daimler-Benz factory, near Echterdingen. A 3.0 m. diameter Bf.109G propellor was added, together with the carburettor scoop from a Bf.109G. This made the modified Spitfire's all-up weight, without armament, 6,020 lb. (2730 kg). The armament weight was an estimated additional 661 lb. (300 kg.). Its weight with armament, before the engine modification, had been 6,680 lb. (3030 kg.).

After a couple of weeks, and with a new yellow-painted nose, the Spitfire returne to Echterdingen. Ellenreider was the first to try the aircraft. He was stunned that the aircraft had much better visibility and handling on the ground than the Bf.109. It took off before he realised it and had an impressive climb rate, around 70 ft. (21 m.) per second. Much of the Spitfire's better handling could be attributed to its lower wing loading.

The Spitfire's wing area was about 54 sq. ft. (5m²) greater than that of the Bf.109. The Messerschmitt was faster at low altitude, but at 11,000 ft. (3350 m) the speeds evened out. The DB 605A engine gave better performance, according to the test group, than the Merlin, which was rated 150 hp below the German engine. It gave the Spitfire a ceiling of 41,666 ft. (12700 m.), about 3,280 ft. (1000 m.) more than a Bf.109G with the same engine and 5,166 ft. (1475 m.) more than that of a Spitfire Mk.V.

After a brief period at Rechlin confirming the performance data, the modified Spitfire returned to Echterdingen to serve officially as a test bed. It was popular with the pilots in and out of working hours. Its career ended on 14th August, 1944, when a formation of US bombers attacked Echterdingen, wrecking two Ju.52s, three Bf.109Gs, a Bf.109H V1, an FW.190 V16, an Me.410 and the Spitfire. Sadly enough the remains of the hybrid Spitfire were scrapped at the Klemm factory at Böblingen.

With the aircraft all masked up again (damn I go through a lot of tape :ha: ) i resprayed the nose again. I also painted the wheel wells and some other fiddly bits.

IMG_2653.jpg

Very nice model.
Be careful where you put it, I heard a story recently about a model similar to yours being unceremoniously removed from a table at a show by an outraged Spitfire fan who just didn't like the idea of such a bastard hybrid! I know it's true because I know some of the "protagonists".
Cheers
Steve

Very nice model.
Be careful where you put it, I heard a story recently about a model similar to yours being unceremoniously removed from a table at a show by an outraged Spitfire fan who just didn't like the idea of such a bastard hybrid! I know it's true because I know some of the "protagonists".
Cheers
Steve

I've never shown any of my models in public but a story like yours makes me want to take it out and show it everywhere.:p

This work was done last night before an early bed time.

In order to get the prob blades to fit into the backing plate I had to re-drill the backing plate.

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

The spinner has been put in place

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

I think I need to address the manifolds next.

Thanks for looking ;)

Last edited:
And therefore it is better to upload pictures direct onto the forum server using the Manage Attachments option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back