1/72 Daimler-Benz Spitfire EN830

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Welcome to my latest project.

History

This story begins back on November 18th 1942, while being flown by P/O Bernard Scheidhauer of the Free French Air Force while attached to the 131 "County of Kent" Sqn. Bernard and his wingman, P/O Henri de Bordas, had been on a "rhubarb" to Normandy. Bernard and his ride EN830 was hit by light flak and was forced to make a landing in a turnip field at Dielament Manor, Trinity, Jersey.

POScheidhauer.jpg

Lt Scheidhauer was taken prisoner by the Germans and eventually transported to Stalag Luft III at Sagan, Silesia Poland. Lt Bernard Scheidhauer's story once in Stalag Luft III is one of the most famous and prolific events of the war. You see Scheidhauer was an active participant in the construction of a tunnel caled Harry which lead to the event known as The Great Escape, but that is a different story.

Our story is about Lt Scheidhauer's trusty Spitfire which was made a POW by the Germans and sent, south of Stuttgart, where Daimler-Benz operated a flight testing division. It was here that the Germans removed the Spits Merlin engine. They replaced it with a DB 605A-1 engine and wrapped it in a Bf 110G's engine cowling. Next they attached the propeller from a Bf 109G along with the carburetor scoop.

The Kit(s)

here are the kits that I will be using for this project.

IMG_0397.jpg

The Spitfire's parts

IMG_0398.jpg

The Bf 110's parts

IMG_0403.jpg

Unfortunately for the Bf-110 the only parts that will be needed will be one of its engine cowling. What a waste :cry:

The goal

ColorprofileEN830.gif

The real EN830

LeftProfile.jpg

LeftRearProfile.jpg

Front.jpg

This build will be a huge test of my modeling skills and will be the first time I attempt to merge two different aircraft. Those of you that are huge fans of the Bf-110 you might want to turn away.

Here are some drawings

SpitfireVbEN830print.jpg

Here we go. Time for a Nip/ Tuck

DoctorBefore.jpg

The patient is prepped and ready

IMG_0404.jpg

Once the engine cowling's were removed from the wings they were trimmed up, glued together with some CA glue and clamped in place to dry.

IMG_0405.jpg

After the glue dried I used some Tamiya tape to mark the next set of cuts.

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

next came the fitting and trimming.

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Off to the incinerator with the dead parts

IMG_0406.jpg

That wasn't so painful

DoctorAfter.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Idea Dirk! and it looks like its coming along real nice. I wouldn't toss those extra parts, just toss them in the spairs box. You never know what you might need them for. I once made a fictional attack aircraft from parts of a C-47, He 111, p-38, P-40, and B-25. Kind of like Frankenstein's monster, but it turned out kinda cool.

Nice project Dirk, though it puzzles me just slightly why you didn't use a Bf109F or G for the donor engine cowlings - would have had the prop then too.
I agree with Hub and Glenn - don't throw out the '110 parts. If nothing else, it could be made into a belly-landed diorama, with a pile of scrap, part covered by earth and or bushes, covering the missing engine, and the wing partly folded back/up, to simulate crash damage.

Dirk I have a 109H-1 in 1/72 I'll just send you and you can take whatever parts you need. Just need to check if the props the same..and I 'll look for the pic sometime this afternoon.

Good work!

Nice project Dirk, though it puzzles me just slightly why you didn't use a Bf109F or G for the donor engine cowlings - would have had the prop then too.

The reason I used the Bf-110 cowling over the Bf-109 was because everything I read said the parts came from a Bf-110 and not a Bf-109. Now if you are going to tell me they are the same then my face sure is red. :oops: Up to this point I've never built a Bf-109 so I really know nothing about them or the history of their development to know they shared the same components.

Live and learn. trial and error that's what modeling is all about I guess. :|

As for the remaining parts of the Bf-110 they well remain in my "Bits Pieces" box till needed. The only parts that will be disposed of will be the chunks of plastic that use to be the wings.

Thanks for taking an interest in my project.

Here ya go....

Attachments

• Captured Spitfire_2355.JPG
    Captured Spitfire_2355.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 228
  • Captured Spitfire_2118a.JPG
    Captured Spitfire_2118a.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Captured Spitfire_2118.JPG
    Captured Spitfire_2118.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Captured Spitfire_2114.JPG
    Captured Spitfire_2114.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 224
Dirk...here's what I have. From a 109H-1. I'll send you the whole kit if you want these... here are the pics...

Attachments

• P8190606.JPG
    P8190606.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 214
  • P8190603.JPG
    P8190603.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 227
  • P8190601.JPG
    P8190601.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 239
  • P8190600.JPG
    P8190600.JPG