1/72 Daimler-Benz Spitfire EN830 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great build challenge. Funny isn't it, sounds like a song title....... the plane doesn't look that out of the ordinary does it????
Wayne thems fine pictures of a fine build.

Just a question, does anyone have any performance figures for this aircraft??

I haven't found any official results but according to the article Ellenreider (test Pilot??) was the first to try the aircraft. He was stunned that the aircraft had much better visibility and handling on the ground than the Bf.109. It took off before he realised it and had an impressive climb rate, around 70 ft. (21 m.) per second. Much of the Spitfire's better handling could be attributed to its lower wing loading.

The Spitfire's wing area was about 54 sq. ft. (5m²) greater than that of the Bf.109. The Messerschmitt was faster at low altitude, but at 11,000 ft. (3350 m) the speeds evened out. The DB 605A engine gave better performance, according to the test group, than the Merlin, which was rated 150 hp below the German engine. It gave the Spitfire a ceiling of 41,666 ft. (12700 m.), about 3,280 ft. (1000 m.) more than a Bf.109G with the same engine and 5,166 ft. (1475 m.) more than that of a Spitfire Mk.V.

After a brief period at Rechlin confirming the performance data, the modified Spitfire returned to Echterdingen to serve officially as a test bed. It was popular with the pilots in and out of working hours.

This week has been a bit crazy between work, kids and Fantasy football draft. I was able to get a little work done on the wings and cockpit.

The Doctor is in

DoctorBefore.jpg

There was no interior detail so I scratched some ribs.

IMG_0464.jpg

Pilots access door

IMG_0465.jpg

Cockpit

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

Next came the wings

IMG_0474.jpg

Sadly I had to remove the guns as that is what the Germans did at the time. It's like doing a boob reduction. Its just not right!

IMG_0476.jpg

DoctorAfter.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

A huge shout out to Harrison. He was able to send the the Bf-109 parts I needed. Thanks Bud!

IMG_0473.jpg

Till next time, thanks for looking

Not at all Dirk. I love modeling the unusual. Here's a pic of that Frankenstein I made over 30 years ago that I mentioned in post #8

Attachments

• P6142234.JPG
    P6142234.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 149
Thanks for the performance stuff Dirk. The low speed handling on the Spit was also vastly supperior to the BF109 as the design of the wing made it stall from the wingroot out rather than tips in. AND it didn't have those nasty slats interfering with the wings. I'm not sure what a DB weighed compared to the Merlin but the supercharger and fuel injection on the BF were superior I believe.

Your cockpit detailing looks fantastic.

Thanks for the performance stuff Dirk. The low speed handling on the Spit was also vastly supperior to the BF109 as the design of the wing made it stall from the wingroot out rather than tips in. AND it didn't have those nasty slats interfering with the wings. I'm not sure what a DB weighed compared to the Merlin but the supercharger and fuel injection on the BF were superior I believe.

Your cockpit detailing looks fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back