1/72 Eduard B-24J USAAF w/Australian crew lost 28-08-44

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice progress!

Don't worry too much about the joint at the bomb bay doors - the B-24 used 'roller shutter' doors, and these were normally cranked open a touch on the ground, or even half open, to evacuate any build-up of fuel vapour.

God, how many more of them would have exploded spontaneously without that precaution!!!

the 30th of Nov, 2011...... what the? Has this been sitting on my shelf That long???? OMG!!!!! I'm puttsing around with this one during the break in my GB's. Can't believe the last photo I posted was filling gaps....

The gaps have been filled, the exterior painted my Tamiya Silver Leaf rattle can. The wings are Not attached, this allows working on the fuselage. Engines are in, props are just in place. I didn't get enough weight in the nose. I might have to drop something in the hole in front of the windscreen, which is not attached. I'll be painting the frame OD.

Today I painted the OD circle and sprayed a gloss clear over the circle, than hand trimmed the Gal from another decal for a B-17 and applied this, then sprayed with flat clear. I don't have to worry about markings, cuz there ain't any on this one. The plane was stripped of the overall OD, markings and all. The circle under the nose art is because the crew wanted to leave it on the plane. The only marking is the serial number on the top section of the vert stab, which remained OD as well as the rudders.

I still have to mask the turrets, they are a royal pain. I sailor on.

Attachments

• SD17 Nose art.jpg
    SD17 Nose art.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 128
Basically yes, it's nice, IMHO. You have to realize I am not that familiar with many kits. I kinda take them as I get them. I did get a Has Lancaster! Now finding out there are more to scale and accurate kits of the Lanc out there.

The only Real issues I had were two fits, bomb bay doors, and the cockpit nose piece which joins at the diagonal seam at the back of the OD circle. I had to do a lot of filling and shaping to get it to blend in with the fuselage. Fiddley, but not aggravating. The bomb bay doors are shut and glued. I didn't find it necessary to detail the inside. All in all, it's going together nicely.

Bill

Charles, you make it sound like I'm gonna keep working on this..... :)

I will be..... Not much left to do. It's masking them doggone turrets.....

Bill, rather than mask the turrets, why not try the painted tape technique?
Lightly stick a length of clear 'Sellotape' (Scotch tape may be the US name) onto a sheet of glass. Paint the interior colour and let dry. Paint the exterior colour over this and let dry. Cut into strips of the required width, and apply to turret/cockpit/window frames as needed. Press into place and lightly burnish down. Trim off excess. If needed, seal with a clear coat.
Done!!

It works exceptionally well Bill. The awkward shapes on this Harvard canopy, different to the T-6 frames, were done this way.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 187.jpg
    Harvard Build 187.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 129
And Wayne, what would That be????
I used the non shiny tape.
I may have to try enamel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back