1/72 Eduard B-24J USAAF w/Australian crew lost 28-08-44

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just caught this one, Looking good.
There is a good probibility that there would be an "anti-glare" section left in front of the 'pit, and on the section of the cowls that faced the 'pit, also.
At least on the inboard ones.

Yep, there would be. The Directives for painting and marking call for Olive Drab in front of cockpits, and on all engine cowlings within the pilot's area of view, on all aircraft in bare metal.

And I stumbled into this one...I am awed by the quality builders on this forum (s)...
This site is hughe....discovering all the time...!!

Thanks for the compliment tik.

I have added the anti glare on the nose, will have to do the same for the cowls. Thanks for the heads up on that. Even tho this is a stripped aircraft, I am sure they left the OD where it should be.

Still need to come up with a solution for the turret and canopy framing.

same idea Bill different medium, what about spraying on to clear decal sheet and cutting the strips....maybe even just buy the silver decal sheet.....I may even have some, will have to check for you.

As mentioned previously, painted clear decal film, or painted clear tape - the latter easier to use and apply. Paint interior colour first, then exterior colour, cut to size and apply.
It's by far the easiest, and most effective, way of doing it on turrets and awkward canopies - much less hassle, and more precise, than trying to mask these small parts with their compound curves.

Yes Terry, the tape thingy Is what I tried.... However the paint just peeled off. Need to know, did you use enamels as paint????
Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone would make very thin PE, in color and pre-painted!!!!!

Yes Bill, enamels, on clear 'Sellotape', not Tamiya masking tape. I've never had a peeling problem, but can't speak for acrylics - their limitations is the main reason I don't normally use acrylic paints.

Yep, that's the correct type of tape Bill. With enamels, you should find it works fine. Lightly attach a length of tape to a sheet of glass, then paint. Glass is much better and easier than other surfaces, and prevents collection of dust or other unwanted cr@p from, for example wood or ceramics. I use a glass coaster - which looks a mess now, but is covered by a large coffee mug most of the time!

Well guys, Terry has helped me out in several ways now.

The anti glare on the engine covers only applies to planes with cockpits Behind the props, as a B-17. B-24 cockpits are Ahead of these so there was no anti glare requirements for the engine covers. So My SLEEPY TIME GAL will be without the OD on the engine covers.

I had seen some B-24's with black de-icing boots on the leading edges of wings and tails. Seams in the ETO flak would sometimes damage these and they would peel off and foul the control surfaces, so they were removed. In the PTO this was not the case as flak was not a problem. So my SLEEPY TIME GAL will get boots.

As for the painted tape. I have picked up some Enamel OD and have used the shiny tape and applied two coats of OD to a couple of strips. It seams to be more flexible than the acrylic and looks promising. Tomorrow I'll see what happens when I try and apply it. If this doesn't work, I'll try and give the tape a sand with some fine sand paper to give it some Tooth, texture to stick to. But so far it looks good.

Terry, you like a bunch of others on here, deserve a pat on the back and an Attaboy. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome Bill.
I normally paint the tape with the interior colour first, so that it 'looks right' through the transparent part. When dry, the exterior colour is then painted. The interior colour also acts as a primer, making it easier for the external colour to 'key', and I rarely need a second coat, depending on colour of course.
However, it's better to give a second coat, rather than 'rough up' the tape. Sanding it can cause it to split once removed from the glass.
Remember to cut the lengths longer than required, to allow ease of placement, then trim-off excess once in place and rubbed down.

When I do my Lancaster for the next GB I will do the interior/exterior colors, This one is for effect as it's just for me.

Today, boots and tape.

Any photos?

Also, you did mention you have a supplier in Adelaide for Quiclboost products, can you please tell me who is it?

I'll appreciate if you could tell me the name and where to get that fine red putty you've used.

Thanks

Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back