1/72 Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jul 21, 2012
Bangkok/California
Aircraft Carrier Planes GB 15

User Name: nagoya_triangle
First Name: James
Category: Beginner
Entry: F4F-3 Wildcat flown by LCDR John S "Jimmy" Thach of the USS Lexington (his name is spelled incorrectly on the box)
Kit: Hasegawa F4F-3 Wildcat "Thatch and O'Hare" 1/72
Accessories: Nothing definite but I may try to make seat belts or something similar for the canopy.

Hi guys, I'm new around here and trying to get back into making scale model airplanes. I haven't completed one since I was 12 years old, although I'm doing pretty good on a Dauntless I've been working on lately and it inspired me to keep working and improving. I'm currently living in Bangkok, and my selection of kits is extremely limited (as is the selection of anything of any quality in this country). It's also very tough to get paints and impossible to get some things like future floor wax. As my Dauntless seems a little far along to be entered in this build, I set out on a journey today to find a suitable entry. I came across this awesome Hasegawa kit at a little hole-in-the-wall place that's maybe one of two model shops in the entire city of 13 million. I thought the price was extremely reasonable at about $15. I also picked up a 1/72 Academy helldiver and a 1/48 Jake floatplane by Nichimo for pretty reasonable prices.

I've attached some profiles of the aircraft I'll be building.

Attachments

• thach1.jpeg
    thach1.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 297
  • thach2.jpeg
    thach2.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 245
  • thach3.png
    thach3.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 314
  • kit1.JPG
    kit1.JPG