1/72 Matchbox Brewster Buffalo, 488 Squadron, Kallang, October 1941

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Here's one project that didn't take too much thinking about. It's the Brewster Buffalo of the 488 Squadron, RNZAF, Kallang, that was part of the defense of Singapore during October 1941. The venerable pudgy allied fighter that flew the daunting task of defending the British colony of Malaya and it's war assets.

It's an old 1/72 scale kit, which comes in the typical two color sprue set. Details are great for a kit it's age, as it comes with recessed panel lines and profiled control surfaces, though additional panel line detailing might be prudent.

I've been wanting to do project outside my Philippine Air Force and aircraft that flew and fought in the Philippines during WW2.

And this might be the start of my "Defense of Singapore, October 1941" builds, as I see Hurricanes and Blenheims in the flight line of that era.

buffalonameplate_01copy.jpg

buffalo_boxart.jpg

The kit was a great find in the bargain bin of Hobby Kulture.

Test-fitting looks great, but knowing Matchbox kits of yore, this will need a wee bit of elbow grease to sort out the joints and panels.

Oh well, tally-ho and God save the Queen!!!

buffalowip_01copy.jpg

buffalowip_02copy.jpg

Ah......these colourful parts of each Matchbox kit. Looking very nice though.

Don't know how accurate you want to be with your model, but the propeller is
wrong for an RAF 339E (its a cuffed Curtiss 10' 3" prop,) you will want
a Hamilton Standard 10' 1" (uncuffed prop).
See Photo
Buffalo-1.jpg

The life raft container was not part of the rear cockpit deck for the 339E
See photo
102_0038.jpg

Should look something like this
FILE0912.jpg

The other thing, again depending on how accurate you want your build, is that the serial number W4812
was never used on a 488 Squadron aircraft

Look forward to your build, Brewster Buffalo is one of my favourites

Regards

Alan

cool mods...thanks for the tips...i'll do my best to make this a worthy project...

Hi mate sorry for this, I can sak you a favour, I have this kit but I haven't the build sheet could you scanner and post it or Pm me, your it's a good job, nice work mate.

Regards.

Loris

Very cool! The buffalo is one of by favourites, looking forward to seeing the finished product! Ironically enough I recieved this in the mail today 8)

Attachments

• 9781846034817.jpg
    9781846034817.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 248
cool mods...thanks for the tips...i'll do my best to make this a worthy project...

Wingnutz,

You may wish to reconsider your timescale - in Oct 41, most of the 488 Sqn aircraft probably retained the markings of their previous owner, 67 Sqn. However, slip into Nov 41 and you'll be covered - 488 Sqn markings (in Sky code letters).

HTH
Mark

Nice little machine, love the coloured plastic from these old Matchbox kits. Got me a Special Hobby Buffalo stashed away for a future build, it's a nice chunky looking plane.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

thanks for all the input folks, really appreciate it...

this kit needs a lot of work to get it to a certain degree of detail i guess...reading through references now...

Wingnutz,

You may wish to reconsider your timescale - in Oct 41, most of the 488 Sqn aircraft probably retained the markings of their previous owner, 67 Sqn. However, slip into Nov 41 and you'll be covered - 488 Sqn markings (in Sky code letters).

HTH
Mark

thanks mark...

Hi mate here a great book about this plane:

Buffaloes over Singapore : RAF, RAAF, RNZAF and Dutch Brewster Fighters in Action over Malaya and the East Indies 1941-42

Regards.

Loris

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back