1/72 Mig 3 "Green Wing Tips"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Red02Originalphoto.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm new to your forum. I have been wrestling with getting back into modeling for some time now. The last time I built was as a wee tot and I'm now in my 40's with a family. Finding time to sit an model has been my biggest challenge.

I started this project about 6 months ago but had to abandon it for the time due to eye issues and twins. The eyes are better now and the twins... Well they still take up most of my time. :lol:

Sorry for the horrible photos. My modeling skills are as bad as my photo taking skills. I hope they will all improve over time. :oops:

Onto the model

I fell in love with the MIG 3 when I first saw it. I liked it so much that I purchased two 1/72 models. Like everyone else who does the MIG three I was fascinated with the "Red 02" paint scheme. After doing some research I came across the rather new argument that the wings on the "Red 02" were in fact green not red. This compelled me even more to go with the "Red 02" because not many have done it.

Of course these arguments for the Red vs Green are mostly based on the interpretation of 60+ year old black and white photos. You can read more about this at how red were the red wings of red 02

In an interview with Rybalko, Vitaliy Viktorovich, he was specifically asked about the red wing tips:

"What color were the outer wing panels?"
- "Only green, it couldn't have been any kind of red. But the nose they painted, yes, both with red and yellow paints."

You can read the entire artical here: Ðûáàëêî Âèòàëèé Âèêòîðîâè÷

red02.jpg

Red02Top.jpg

I started this project using the Encore 1/72 MIG 3 kit.

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

The shear amount of parts is over whelming isn't it? :shock:

IMG_0965.jpg

The Decals and Resin parts. One of the issues I have is if you look at the decals the 02 is black not red. I'm going to have to take a trip to the LHS to see if I can find some replacements.

IMG_0966.jpg

I've never worked with resin parts before so this is going to be a little bit daunting for me. It looks like a lot of work.

This kit is quickly becoming more filler then plastic. Lots of filling and sanding.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

Preparing for the under coat

IMG_0129.jpg

Thanks for looking

Life being what it is these days I never seem to have time to just sit and build. I have to steal time whenever I can which means I do a lot of rushing and that always seems to cost me in the end. I taped the plane in a cocoon to do the wings. As I was undoing it I broke off one of the rear stabilizers.:xcensoredx: All that filling and sanding for nothing!

Not to mention after all the tape I used I still got some over spray. Oh well I will touch that up later.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

Sorry about the bad photos. Can you believe they were taken using two 500wat work lamps? I'll make sure the next ones are better.

Dirk

Well I went to the LHS in search for the red "02" for my MIG 3. They didn't have any and the owner said a lot of the older decals had been discontinued.He did say that Squadron might have them. I did an online search and came up empty handed. If any one knows where I could get them please let me know. Other wise I go with the black "02" or a different number all together. It's good to have options, eh? LOL

Dirk

No real progress to report today. I spent last night cutting the exhaust stacks from the block of resin and sanding them down. All while I had "Enemy at the Gates" playing in the background. I have a hard enough time taking pictures of the aircraft itself let alone tiny 1/72 exhaust manifolds.

Comparing the resin exhaust manifolds to the plastic ones there is a big difference and it should be worth the effort. When I compare the resin tires and some of the other resin parts to the plastic I see no difference. The resin air intakes are better but I already used the plastic ones. Truth is at the time I didn't know what they were so I went with the plastic. The directions for this model are atrocious. A number of parts aren't even shown in the directions. I have to ID each first and then try and figure where they go on my own. And to think I do this to relax.

Welcome to the forum dirk, glad to see another modeler trying to wrangle in the hobby again. Nice progress and sorry about the decals, but there is always an alternative. Keep working and all should be well, but try not to rush. If I get slammed on time and such I put the model down and attend my priorities, only model when you can model.. everything will be okay! :)

Corey

Welcome to the forum dirk, glad to see another modeler trying to wrangle in the hobby again. Nice progress and sorry about the decals, but there is always an alternative. Keep working and all should be well, but try not to rush. If I get slammed on time and such I put the model down and attend my priorities, only model when you can model.. everything will be okay! :)

Corey

Maglar

I found that the Revell Mig 3 has the proper red "02" decals and I can get it for just under $10. When it comes to 1/72 it can't hurt to have spare parts.

I was reading your B17 build thread. I look forward to the next installment.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Dirk

With Corey and Alex, welcome Dirk!

Glad you can get the decals you're after, had a look through mine, but no luck unfortunately!

Evan

Hi Dirk, and welcome. I've never used resin parts either, in nearly 50 years of modelling, and I doubt I'd have the nerve to try them in 1/72nd scale! Great work, and good research too!

Hello and welcome to the forum Dirk. That's one nice MiG-3 model you got there. :thumbright:
Now I'm going to risk it to appear ignorant and ask what is the difference between ordinary plastic model kit and the one made of resin parts? Do I understand it correctly that model can be build out of mix of plastic and resin parts same as completely out of resin parts?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Airframe

I can see the benefit of using resin parts on models but in this scale it seems next to impossible to work with. This model came with a resin cockpit. You can see the difference and the parts were also big enough to work with. The same can't be said with the smaller parts such as the engine manifolds. If this kit didn't come with them I doubt I would have ever tried them.

Imalko

This is the first I'm working with Resin. The only thing I know is that resin is suppose to have more detail. I've read on some of the ship forums that you can buy a complete models made out of resin. The cost is high though.

Today's progress.

I got to make a bit of progress today but once again I'm unhappy with the photos. I'm going to try again tomorrow to take better pictures and post them later.

I started by drilling out the 3 gun ports on the nose and I installed the landing struts. Now for those that have done 1/72 scale models know that they lack certain depth and detail. Its the price we pay for working in the smaller scale I guess. I'm sure there are those out their that go as far as re-scribing panel line but that is way above my skill level. But I found a way to add a little depth and detail to the wings. On the real deal there is a "wing band" where the wing tips connect to the main wing. This is the point where the green meets white on the Red 02. The purpose is obvious. A damaged wing tip can be replaced in the field with relative ease.

On the larger scale models this is represented by what looks like two panel lines running side by side. On the 1/72 it is non-existent. So what I did was take a thin strip of tin foil and glued it to the wing. I will paint it when its dry and "Vola" depth and detail where there was none. :slicksmile:

Then Murphy struck and some how I have a busted landing gear strut. UGH!!!

As promised here are the photos for the other days work.

Here is a shot of the drilled out gun ports
IMG_0988B.jpg

Here is the shot of the wings and the tin foil wing bands
IMG_0989B.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

Here is a before and after shot of the exhaust manifolds.
IMG_0991B.jpg

Here is the canopy
IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

Landing gear struts
IMG_0994.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dirk

Last night I had another setback with the Mig but it wasn't Murphy's (Law) fault this time. This time it was Gremlins. When I went to work on it I found it in a different location then I left it with both landing gear struts broken off and the right wing broken. So far no one has claimed responsibility so it had to be gremlin's. I can use the struts from my second kit. As for the wing I applied some CA. Now I sit and wait. Wait to cool down and decide where I go from here. :|

Dirk

Looking very nice but these pics are a little bit too dark on my screen.That's apity.
Anyway it seems that these foil bands on wings are too wide.What is more these bands went around the wing area I mean on undersides as well. Keep working please.:)

Looking very nice but these pics are a little bit too dark on my screen.That's apity.
Anyway it seems that these foil bands on wings are too wide.What is more these bands went around the wing area I mean on undersides as well. Keep working please.:)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment on my build.

Wurger

I've been having a lot of problems with my pictures. I'm not sure what it is. I have a 8.8Pixel Cannon camera. I must be using the wrong settings. If you or anyone has any suggestions I'm open to hearing them.

As for the wing bands, I just eyeballed them. I was never planning to get that detailed originally but things happen as you build. For this model I'm ok with the size of them and will be adding them to the under side too.

After the latest gremlin attack I was tempted to s*it can the whole thing. After I cooled off I couldn't bring myself to throwing it out so I just wanted to finish it ASAP and move on. Now I think I want to continue like I was before the incident.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I think the main problem with these pictures is the lack of light.Try to add a one or two light sources around.Or you can take pics outside where the sunlight is better..Also you should switch on the inner flashgun what is usually enough for taking a nice pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back