1/72 Revell Heinkel He 111 H-6 wearing winter white

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the comments everybody :thumbleft:

With all. I tried 1/72 years ago. It was the masking of canopies that did me in

Thanks for the segue Geo! There was no way I was going to cut masks for a 1/72 glasshouse canopy plus the ventral gondola so turned to the Montex mask set. The fit was very good and they're easy to work with - I do like using Montex masks. The glasshouse canopy comes in 3 parts plus the nose bubble and door (not shown here).The roof-mounted PE instrument panel and control console were added with small dabs of CA.

canopy web.jpg

Jumping forward a little bit here, the airframe was constructed with addition of the wings and horizontal stabs. The wing and stab halves were joined using my usual method that is detailed in my Corsair build thread. Perhaps due to its Hasegawa heritage, fit of all elements was very good and no filler was required. The 3-part glasshouse canopy was a bit tricky to get together and took several attempts using Kristal Klear to get everything on and aligned properly before reinforcing with some light and carefully applied runs of Tamiya Extra Thin.

The forward 2 fuselage windows (which will be painted over) were fitted at this point and the aft 2 window frames masked from the inside with Tamiya tape. The dorsal turret and nose bubble openings were masked with sponge and tape and the ventral gondola openings with Blu-tack. The door to the glasshouse canopy will be posed open, but was placed temporarily in the closed position with small bits of Blu-tack to act as a mask. The canopy frames were then sprayed RLM66 before spraying the rest of the airframe with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. Finally, the yellow identification band at the rear of the fuselage was sprayed and masked off.

airframe primed web.jpg

Time for painting...

Looking good Kirby but I'm missing why the 2 rear windows are masked from the inside.

Thanks Geo, Wojtek, Terry, Luis, Robert, and sorry Andy, I probably wasn't clear enough there. The clear parts for the rear 2 windows have not been fitted yet. The kit is engineered so they're installed from the outside, so I'll leave that until after painting particularly as they have machine guns sticking out of them.

Thanks guys, on to the painting. With quite a few layers to do, this is going to be a bit of a long haul. I started by pre-shading the underside before spraying and masking the yellow eastern front markings on the wing tips. A couple of light passes of RLM 65 have been sprayed here before I remembered to take a photo! The wheel bay doors were temporarily posed in the closed position with Blu-tack to act as a mask and also allow painting of exhaust stains later.

underside preshade web.jpg

The pre-shading here is fairly rudimentary and since this model I have been using more complex black-basing and mottling techniques. So here I'll concentrate more on post-shading and oil work later.

The standard factory RLM 70/71 splinter camo scheme was masked and painted next. Since this will be largely covered by the white winter camo later I didn't bother with any pre-shading or much in the way of diffusion or fading techniques here.

splinter a web.jpg

splinter b web.jpg

splinter c web.jpg

splinter d web.jpg

splinter e web.jpg

Next up gloss coat and decals...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back