1/72 Revell Heinkel He 111 H-6 wearing winter white

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! :thumbleft:

Pledge gloss coat and decals on. Excuse the dust!

decals a web.jpg

decals b web.jpg

decals c web.jpg

underside decals web.jpg

Even though this is the point at which I would normally feel I am getting towards the end of the build, in this case it is just the base for painting of the winter camo and weathering that is still to come. It kind of feels a shame that a lot of the hard work on the splinter camo will be obscured...

Thanks a lot for the comments everybody, appreciate it :thumbleft:

So, now on to the fun part :mrgreen:. The winter camouflage of Luftwaffe aircraft on the eastern front consisted of a uniform white coat of paint that was applied over the standard camouflage. The paint was water-soluble and faded quickly, giving Luftwaffe aircraft a very patchy and weathered appearance after a while. In the photo below, for instance, you can see fading of the paint on the leading edge of the tail fin and other areas.

he 111 winter camo a.jpg

he 111 winter camo b.jpg

I'll be using the hairspray method to achieve the worn appearance of the winter camo. The finish of the basecoat is very important for controlling the size and appearance of the chips and here I want to achieve more of a worn look rather than large chips, so I sealed the decals with a coat of satin varnish (my custom mix of 15:1 Pledge:Tamiya Flat Base).

The other variable that is important for the hairspray method is drying time for both the hairspray and paint, so I tend to work across the model in sections. Again with the aim of a worn look in mind, once the varnish coat had cured the tail section was sprayed with 2 coats of hairspray which was allowed to dry for 1 hr. A 20:1 mix of Tamiya White:Buff was then used to slowly build up a worn mottled pattern with some random streaks and allowed to dry for a further 1 hour.

A stiff brush moistened with water was then used to chip the paint to simulate wear in the direction of the air flow. Fine grit sandpaper was used to create some more subtle wear.

tail b web.jpg

tail a web.jpg

The white paint and the chipping still looks a bit stark at the moment, but I'll tone that down and blend it later on. I also made no effort to mask the swastika and allowed a bit of overspray as this is how it was done by the black men in the field.

winter camo spray.jpg

Thanks for checking in guys :thumbright:

I like it as it looks, Kirby; and what good pictures.
Pending to see the other sections.

:idea:Interesting method for future German aircraft with winter camouflage.
:idea:

Good work until now. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back