1/72 Revell Heinkel He 111 H-6 wearing winter white

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everybody and thanks for the kind words John, high praise from a modeller of your calibre!

So, on to the wings. The same techniques were employed here as for the tail section. I concentrated on fading and wear around the leading edges together with fine grit sandpaper for more subtle wear in other parts. Some panels were given heavier treatment than others for visual interest. I decided to brush paint around the Balkenkreuz crosses with a fine brush to simulate how the black men might have done it for the low visibility crosses on the wings.

I used a different technique on the engine nacelles as I wanted to achieve a more general faded effect here that would come from prop wash, ground crew handling, engine heat, etc. Mig AMMO Washable White was used here and allowed to dry before scrubbing with a moist stiff brush.

Exhaust stains were also airbrushed using a mix of Tamiya Black/Red Brown.

washable white web.jpg

wing a web.jpg

wing b web.jpg

nacelle web.jpg

You can just still see some of the splinter camo under the white. Next update finish the fuselage and further weathering...

It looks incredible!
It is an excellent lesson to learn how to make this camouflage.
It is very realistic.

My regards Kirby. :thumbup:

Beautifully realistic work there Kirby! My only comment would be the area around the wing crosses. The brush marks around the crosses seem to be slightly at odds with the surrounding areas.

Thanks very much guys :thumbleft:

Beautifully realistic work there Kirby! My only comment would be the area around the wing crosses. The brush marks around the crosses seem to be slightly at odds with the surrounding areas.

Yeah, I prevaricated about that John but in the end decided to add a little visual interest by representing how a black man might have brush painted around the low visibility crosses. It looks OK but I'm not 100% happy with the effect mainly due to the fact that the decal is a rubbish substrate for the hairspray method. If I had my time again, I would avoid decals by painting the crosses to achieve better blending.

Phew, we're back!

So the worn whitewash on the fuselage was completed using the same methods described above for the rest of the airframe. I then toned down the white and unified the wear/chipping with an overall filter using diluted Mig AMMO Winter Streaking Grime.

Once dry, I then added some subtle streaking using the same product undiluted as well as some Humbrol white enamel. Streaks were brush painted using these products and then worked and blended with a brush slightly moistened with white spirit. Oils were then used to add some general mud and grime around the inner wing areas where ground crew would walk and the fuel filler ports.

Ignore the ejector pin mark, that won't be visible when the dorsal turret is installed, trust me :dodgy:

airframe e web.jpg

Notice you can just see the splinter camo showing through on the photos above and below.

airframe d web.jpg

airframe a web.jpg

Getting towards the finish line. Landing gear, props, turrets, and other bits and pieces to be painted and installed...

Thanks for checking in :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back