1/72 Scale S2G Tracker 816 squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

some further progress shots

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Did you join the fuselage halves yet? If not be sure and put a weight in the nose if you want it to sit nose down. I used a .45ACP slug (230gr). That did it nicely, but it was a tight fit (efter shaping with a vice hammer) and barely enough weight.

You will also likely conclude as I did the following.

The aft tail strike wheel extended virtually makes the model sit on all four strut/wheel assemblies. If you retract the tail strike wheel you will definitely need some nose weight. The tail strike wheel strut is too long (at on mine it was) and you will have to remove a small portion of the hydraulic extention to slightly retract the strut to make it sit right. Otherwise the model sits nose wheel - to - tail wheel and wobbles side-to-side.

well have only made a small amount of progress over the last 4 days or so. I am not entirely happy with the finish, but I have learnt a lot. The Paintwork is better than my A-4, and I am pleased with the way the scratchbuilt interior and stinger worked out. Using the airbrush gave me a better overall finish

But I still suck at getting neat lines, and my overall work on the body was poor. If the A-4 was anything to go by, the decals and final protective semi gloss should improve the look of the thing quite a bit.

Anyway here are the progress shot. Please note I still have a bit to do with this model

Attachments

• Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 85
sorry about the dud photo in the last shot. i dont know how to delete images once they are posted....

Anyway just a few more

Attachments

• Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 122
Been a few days guys. I am still working on this build, but have had some work committments to see to. Its been a little frustrating. I have had a lot of trouble with the after market decals. They dont want to lift from the backing sheet, and then tear when I apply any force on them at all. They are high quality decals, but I am having trouble because I am too heavy handed and these sheets are just so delicate compared to others that I have used.

Luckily I scanned the dcal sheets before using them, and have reproduced the images on my own blank sheet. I am having to use these less delicate but stronger, home made decals rather than the factory made ones.

Its been very frustrating trying to cope with this.

The local model shop also had a sale and i went a bit mad. My project is to build every aircraft of the FAA since 1947, and the sale put up three aircraft that I was keen to get

1) 1/72 Fairey Gannet, by Trumpeter. This looks like a very superior model
2) 1/72 Wessex HAS Chopper by Italeri. A very dependable model, everything looks well made, detail is okay. Very typical Italeri workmanship
3) 1/72 Sea Fury By Special Hobby (a Czech Company). This one I am not so sure of. A 1/72 Fury is only about half the size of modern aircraft. It has resin cockpit part, and all the interior, including cockpit detail has to be painted. As a kit it has had fair write ups, but its looks more difficult that the others.

A friend of mine says that the best way to paint these cockpit details is with a toothpick. I tried the technique out on some flat pieces of scrap....seems to do a better job on fine detail than with even the finest brush

But the Fury is going to be a difficult build I think....

All I need now is a Sea King, a Sea Venom, and a Firefly to complete the front line types of the fleet air arm types up to 1985

But first to finish the tracker

Last edited:
Models coming along great Pars and it looks like you had a great time at the sale. Funny enough, I was reading an old kit review on the Firefly last night

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Thanks Vic....I have learnt a lot with this build, and whilst it is okay, I wanted it to be better than it has turned out. Anyway, some progress shots I guess

Attachments

• Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 063.jpg
    Picture 063.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 97
Looking very nice! I think you mentioned you would like a 1/48th scale Tracker, to go with the Skyhawk. I spotted a future release for a series of Trackers, in the TAHS catalogue, just last night. I think they're from Hobby Boss, but if you'd like details, let me know, and I'll check for you.

Looking very nice! I think you mentioned you would like a 1/48th scale Tracker, to go with the Skyhawk. I spotted a future release for a series of Trackers, in the TAHS catalogue, just last night. I think they're from Hobby Boss, but if you'd like details, let me know, and I'll check for you.

Yes please, can you send me the link if its an" e-sale". Although, the majority of post war types that I have found seem to come out as 1/72. I think the reason is simply that post war aircraft are considerably larger than wwIi era aircraft (except the four engined bombers)

Here's the details on the Tracker. I thought I'd seen three versions, but one was a Tracer, the other Hawkeye.
It's from 'Special Hobby', S2F Tracker, 1/48th scale, shown as a future release in The Avaiation Hobby Shop catalogue (dated July 2009), with price and date due to be announced.
Also found a Gannet in 1/48th scale, via the same source. It's from 'Classic Airframes', at £39.99, so not cheap, and is the Gannet ASW, with the kit including decals for an aircraft from RAN aboard HMAS Melbourne.
'Classic Airframes' also produce a Sea Venom in 1/48th scale, Venom FAW21/Sea Venom, at £43.99, whilst 'Special Hobby' are also listing as a future release a Fairy FireflyMkIV/V, again price and availability to be announced.
Revell (I think Revell Germany) used to do a 1/48th Wessex, although I don't know if it's currently available.
The info above was, as mentioned, in the printed catalougue from The Avaition Hobby Shop, West Drayton, Middlesex, UK, and their web-site is at index
I hope this helps a bit.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back