1/72Airfix B5N1 Kate torpedo bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
I popped into my local model shop on Saturday to pick up a few supplies and while I was waiting to pay I decided to grab this kit off the shelf. Not because I was desperate to build it but to support my local shop I need to ween myself off the interwebs and go local while I still can.

I have made a start and it's been a pleasure so far everything has fitted only needing a few strokes to remove the sprue gate marks. I am more used to wrestling with big gaps non existent interiors and instructions that are vague.

15977654972247475575164958641617.jpg
15977655147737617146391319009045.jpg
15977655269663216130677194314624.jpg
15977655423932989306646833760493.jpg

I am building it wings folded with bomb racks probably as a China theatre plane in camouflage.

This is one from the new and improved Airfix, correct? Some great stuff coming out over that past few years.

Yes it is, it's a completely new tool everything is crisp and flash free, the instructions are a work of art.

I used to lurk on a modelling forum (not naming it) and the hatred of Airfix was extreme any model would be criticised no matter if it was a recent tool or a cheap and cheerful starter rebox of a 60s kit.

I am very tempted by the new Airfix Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Coastal Command kit. It's looks fit in with my recent Potez 540 model 2 graceful elegant beauties of the air.

After praising the fit of the parts I struggled to get the fuselage to fit neatly over the cockpit. Probably my fault but I followed the instructions which is unusual for me 🤣. Some filing and filling will be required.
IMG_20200821_095050840.jpg
IMG_20200821_095117255.jpg

I am going for brown and green topsides. First coat of Vallejo Air 71.042 dark brown and I think it's a bit dark. It's supposed to be a match for IJN H2 brown but I am not sure.
15982146028163188362792255514489.jpg

Me neither...Wayne might be your man there.

The cockpit fit isn't your fault - their new tool Spitfire Mk.I and Jet Provost kits both suffer the same problem, as do some others I've read about on the net.

I have this kit in the stash myself, and if there is one criticism I have, it's that they've moulded all the ammo drums to the fuselage sides. As I will be modelling the bird surrendered to the RNZAF, I will have to physically cut the lot off and carefully clean up those areas. Not looking forward to it!

Keep up the good work in any case, will be watching and taking notes :)

I had forgotten about those ammo drums. 🤬 At first I wasn't sure what they were they are just a row of blobs. There's another drum on the floor by the gun which is properly detailed so it's not like they couldn't do it. I decided to ignore them as the canopy will be closed.

The paint is way too dark so I am going for something lighter. I tried adding some white to lighten it but it turned a purplish tint. Next I tried a bit of yellow but that didn't work either turning a caramel colour.

I have ordered another shade of brown Vallejo 71.038 mud brown fingers crossed this looks right. Vallejo do the correct colour 71.418 but for some reason it's not imported into the UK and postage from the EU for a single bottle of paint is €6.

Not sure on the correct Brown for the early Kates, suspect it is the same one used on G4M1 Betty which i think was 'Earth Brown' recall the XF-64 Red Brown was not far off as the colour...

Don't recall any fuselage to wing fit problem on my B5N2.....

Looking good. I've found that the new Airfix kits in 1:48 need to be cleaned up and fitted very precisely. A test fit on my Defiant showed that I could get two parts to slot cleanly together. I had to run my fingernail along one edge to discover a sprue attachment point that wasn't sanded completely flush

WOW!! I'm wanting to get my hands on that bird. I'm told it had the actual bomb type in the kit that was used on the USS Arizona. That was my Great Great Uncle's ship and I'm wanting to do the plane that dropped the bomb. Unfortunately he was one who died that day but I've built several models of the Arizona and several of the planes at Pearl Harbor, but I can't seem to get a Kate with the correct bomb that was made from a battleship shell. Can you verify if it actually has that bomb please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back