1/72nd scale 'Dan Air' Dakota.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much to all, and I'm happy to say it was very well received by my friend. The crunch comes a week on Monday, when she gives it to her father !
Evan very little can be seen of the interior. In the cockpit, it's possible to see the top of the seats, the 'padded' bulkhead and door, and the top of the control columns. It's just possible to see the throttle quadrant stand if you use a pencil torch and contortions! With the doors closed, at certain angles it's only just possible to see the para seats, but these might be more visible if painted (I did my interior overall grey, so that nothing can be seen.). With the doors open, only the rear of the seats and rear bulkhead can be seen.

Fantastic work Terry! She turned out great.

I had a close look at the Airfix DC-3 I have on the shelf and it looks like the same kit. Panel lines exactly the same. It must have been boxed with the Airfix name at one time.

Thanks Evan and Glenn. Sounds like you could be right Glenn - probably/possibly Airfix used the moulds, although their original kit was very basic and dated from the 1950s. The one I built 30 years ago, the same kit, was then labelled Italieri, not Italeri, although it's the same company.

The original kit was Evan, and this was still around a few years ago. It was nothing like the Italeri/Italieri kit, with absolutely no internal detail, and was provided with USAAF and 'Silver City' decals. Whether the current kit from Airfix is a new tool, or the old version, I don't really know.

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with all this talk about the Airfix kit Terry. I promise this is the last I'll post about it.
Here's the Airfix box and a couple of shots of what's inside, first one of the spurs than a close up – no rivets at all. I don't remember just when I bought the kit, but I want to say it was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I remember being pleasantly surprised when I opened it expecting the rivets you mentioned. It sure looks like the same kit as your Dan Air DC-3.

Attachments

• P9125597.JPG
    P9125597.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 95
  • P9125598.JPG
    P9125598.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 88
  • P9125599.JPG
    P9125599.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 92
It's certainly very, very similar Glenn, and definitely not the original Airfix moulding. I notice that some of the parts are slightly different, and there are parts not included in the Italeri kit, but the main mould tools could well have been used to produce the major parts like the fuselage.

Likewise sorry to have hijacked your thread Terry, this is also my last comment on the matter.

I agree with you and Glenn - comparing Glenn's photos with my Italeri C-47 Skytrain kits, it is indeed the same mouldings exactly, with (as Terry said) the exception of having some extra parts - the antennas and cargo door to the right of the control columns. The studs from these removed items still remain on the sprues however.

No probs Evan, However, having looked closely at the fuselage mouldings, there are some very slight variations in the panel lines. Also, the engraving is more subtle on the Airfix issue. Would be good to see each kit side by side methinks ?

Yep, I reckon so Terry - especially as (after a search on Google), it seems the Revell kit is also a reboxing of the Italeri kit (! )

Pics of the panel lines of one of my Italeri fueslages, maybe Glenn can post more of his Airfix kit to compare.
(Also a pic of the Quickboost resin engines designed to replace Italeri items)

STA50396.JPG
STA50397.JPG
STA50398.JPG
STA50400.JPG

Good stuff Evan. Looks like that moulding tool is really getting some use around the world - or at least the parts are doing some travelling!

It's his Birthday on Monday, so he gets it then. I should meet him on Tuesday, as she is taking me with her, and her parents, to a 'Big Band' concert in Manchester. I'll let you know his reaction !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back