1 of 3: 1/72 Airfix Typhoon IB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aircro

Airman 1st Class
Jan 10, 2009
I scribe this kit some 2-3 years ago and start interior
P1010009-1.jpg

Scratchbuilt prop feathers from expendable coffe spoons
P1010007-1.jpg

P1010014-1.jpg

Back
IMG_1358.jpg

THEN :mad:I discover that engine cowling is to thin
IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

Btw. doing that I sucesfully broke two feathers
IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Horizontals
IMG_1388-1.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

Under nose
IMG_1354.jpg

Gunsight
Picture009.jpg

Old and new gun holes
Picture008.jpg

Wheel wells
IMG_1360-1.jpg

By now
Picture020.jpg

Very nice work indeed! Using the spoons is quite clever and you did a brilliant job resurfacing the cowl. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I like the Frankenstern stitching around its neck. Have you considered leaving them in?????? LOL
What a lot of work, but it is good to see how it's done. Thanks for that!

Looking very good. :) Are you going to replace the "drop-shaped conopy with the "car" one?

Nope, I don't need extra job, except that I have Maquette Car dor Typhoon - maybe an ex Frog?

Nice work on such an old kit. BTW, the wheel wells were painted in 'Aluminium', a semi-matt silver coating.
Oh no:confused:, did all Typhoon wheel wells was in Aluminium? And so that means that only one surviving Typhoon w.w. is in wrong colour?

Oh no:confused:, did all Typhoon wheel wells was in Aluminium? And so that means that only one surviving Typhoon w.w. is in wrong colour?

Unfortunately many of surviving WW2 planes are of incorrect colours at some area.And I agree with Airframes. The silver painted wheel bays were quite common for the Hawker factory.

Last edited:
Yes, Hawker painted all their aircraft wheel wells in Aluminium, including the Typhoon and the Tempest. The inner faces of the landing gear doors were also this colour. As far as I remember, the only surviving (almost complete) Typhoon, in the RAF Museum, has the 'silver' wheel wells. I have seen some colour pics where this appears to be green, but close examination shows it's a colour cast from the lighting - unless it's been re-painted since I saw it last!
There are a couple of things not quite right with the RAF Museum Typhoon, through no fault of the restorers at RAF St.Athan.
The aircraft was returned from the USA with some parts missing, and some re-painting had also been done whilst in the US.
False ailerons had to be made, and the radiator is the front of a truck item, with plywood and card sides, and canvas trunking !
The spinner is made from two pieces from, I believe, a Varsity or Valleta, or perhaps a Bristol Freighter, and the prop is fitted as best as possible, at the wrong pitch angle, which was unavoidable. There are other items, such as cowling panels, which had to be fabricated, and therefore lack the internal stiffeners, and consequently, there are no rivet lines where these would normally be.
In at least one photo of the cockpit, it can be seen that there are American additions, such as the yellow tape around the 'basic six' flight instruments, and an American-produced pilot's manual !
As a restoration for display purposes, and especially as it's the only almost complete survivor, it is superb. But as an accurate reference for modellers, extreme caution is advised !

Brushed last night
Picture029.jpg

Picture030.jpg

And some things I forget to show:
lost old aileron so ...
IMG_1406.jpg

Same material as prop feathers
Picture024.jpg

but for exhaust
Picture023.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread