100th Anniversary Naval Aviation - Curtiss A-1 Triad 1/48th

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not much progress lately. Too hot to work during the day, heat index of 110 the last two days and no A/C in shop.

I did add the first set of booms, made from brass rod.

Attachments

• A-155booms.jpg
    A-155booms.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 78
Still struggling with the excessive heat here. I'm getting up real early tomorrow, hope to have some progress pic up sometime in the afternoon.

Back to work today, moved some stuff to the kitchen table until it cools off.

Pic 1 - Interplane struts made from brass rod tapered with a Dremel
Pic 2 - Holes drilled. Large holes are for struts, small ones for rigging
Pic 3 - Rigging started. For this plane I will be using 2# fishing line and gluing it to the top wing, holes have been drilled partway through the wing bottoms. The holes in the bottom wing are drilled all the way through. The line will be pulled through tight, glued and then the line will be trimmed off and a dab of paint finishes it up

Attachments

• A-163struts.jpg
    A-163struts.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 69
  • A-164holes.jpg
    A-164holes.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 70
  • A-165rigging.jpg
    A-165rigging.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 71
First time I've seen this thread and I'm glad I clicked on it. You're doing a excellent job and must have a lot of patience with all the great scratch building you're doing. I look forward to following along until the finish.

After taking my WIP to the local club meeting last week I have decided to completely remake the mold for the wing. It was pointed out (when I asked them what I could improve) that I will need to put a little raised rib detail in. I really respect the opinions of the guys in the club, several of which have won awards on the National IPMS level. This kind of mentoring from them along with the many great modelers on this forum have made me raise my expectations and challenged me to do even better. I've spent the last few days glueing stretched sprue to the wing molds and sanding, sanding, sanding. Should have some progress pics to post tomorrow.

It sounds very good Andy. For these raised rib details you might use "narrow" stripes made of a masking tape. To be honest , the fabric covering on old machines was stitched to these ribs and the thread was preserved with canvas strips glued to seams.

Work on the new wing.
Pic 1 - added raised rib detail to the wing mold with stretched sprue. Rather tedious but worth it.
Pic 2 - vac forming
Pic 3 - very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• A-166wingribsadded.jpg
    A-166wingribsadded.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 45
  • A-167wingvac.jpg
    A-167wingvac.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 46
  • A-168wingvac.jpg
    A-168wingvac.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 41