10yo Daughter's first build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crunch

Senior Airman
Hi you lot, just thought I'd share this with you.

A few weeks ago, I dropped into the model shop to grab a few things, and my Stephanie, my daughter, asked if she could get a model. Absolutely! So not having built anything before, we narrowed it down by size, era and type, and we walked out with an Airfix 1/72 Typhoon.

Pretty appropriate first build I thought, and I vaguely remember building one when I was her age. I showed her how to check the box, match paints and work out what we'd need (even though I had everything, I wanted her to see the process). on the way home, she was busting to get started more than I was to see her do it! So briefly said hi to the Mrs and the baby, and we promptly buried ourselves in the man-cave (yeah, only a select couple of girls are allowed down there, and the other is my border collie that guards the door when I'm in there)

I tried to be as hands off as possible on this, I really wanted to have her learn the stages of building. I only interviened in a few things at her request - fiddly decals, thinning paints, knife work.

So over two weekends, even before I got out of bed, she was straight back into it, getting it, painted, decalled, and even a base made for it. I insisted on a base as her little brother would love to watch it fly, so the hope was that it would seem more ornamental than 'toy'. Once she goes back to mum's I have no control over it!

So here it is! She is so proud of what she did, and I couldn't be prouder! I really wish I could build like this at her age, and it's very close behind my skill level right now! Time to get your butt into gear, Dad!

Skills learned -

- Sprue removal
- Following instructions
- glue application
- brush painting
- masking - maskol and tape
- airbrushing (yep!)
- Decal application - Including Mirco set and Micro Sol
- Base building

Picture064.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture072-2.jpg

Next up, 1/72 Boston. She even said she chose it so it was "more of a challenge"! :shock:

- Andrew.

:shock: Hick! :shock: That is one awesome first build! Much better than my own when I first started! Very, very well done!
Looks like Maria have a bit of competition in the making here!

Tell Stephanie that's a great build Andy! Very nicely done, and much better than my first ones that's for sure!

Good on yas both!

Absolutely brilliant! If that had been posted in one of the threads from the model shows, I would have thought, yes, it's a beginner, probably young, and probably with quite a few models under his/her belt. As a beginner's entry, I would have voted it quite highly too.
I honestly wouldn't have believed that this is a ten year old's first ever model - fantastic!
Given a few more builds, in a not very long time span, it looks like Stephanie is going to be a comp winner!

Thanks guys,

I'll show her the responses when I see her next. She'll be chuffed! I explained to her that everything I know, I've taught myself, or learned myself from here and other people, where she's starting with everything I know and building on that.

I just hope she enjoys it enough to get a few under her belt... 10yo attention spans need nurturing to stay focussed! :lol:

After intro I was very pleasently suprized with result, to me is best first model kit I ever saw:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

Looks like she has her "head down and bum up", pretty intense in them photos and a cracker of a job. And to think She thinks she needs more of a challenge, good onner!

Great job ! I've got my 10 yr old grand-daughter building, but I wouldn't let her near paint !
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back