2yrs in jail for pointing a laser at a plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
Two years in jail for pointing a laser at a plane | Gadling.com

The "sport" of pointing a laser pointer at a plane is not new - many people have been arrested for the stupid stunt.

Last week was a first though - someone caught pointing their laser at two planes was arrested, and sentenced to two and half years in jail.

His first target was a United Airlines plane carrying 180 passengers. When the beam hit the cockpit window, the pilot caught it right in the eye, causing "flash blindness". The second target was an Alaska Airlines jet, this time the pilot was able to duck below a glare shield, but did have to abort a critical turn.

There appears to be no shortage of stupidity in the world, and shining a laser pointer at a jet just reinforces that. I'm not even sure what is going through the mind of someone who thinks this is a fun game.

These planes are carrying a lot of people, and in many cases they are on their final approach, one of the most critical parts of the entire flight. To me, two and a half year is on the short side - but hopefully it'll still send a message to anyone else who was thinking of messing around with their laser pointer.

Last edited:
"Stupid is as stupid does", to coin a phrase.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the human race.

Jail time is justified.

TO

17 Year old "Kid" a few blocks from where I live was caught shining a laster pointer at a helicopter this past Summer. Helicopter ended up being a State Patrol Helicopter and they busted the individual almost immediately. Excure was that he did not know it was illegal and didn't think it would do any harm!

I'm torn on this one. Part of me wants them to plaster this all over the news, to get the word out that yes, being this FRIKKIN STUPID is illegal. But then another part of me realizes that the idiots of the world will see that as a challenge, and we'll have a rash of laser-pointer incidents until an accident DOES happen and many lives are lost.

Don't worry, though...I agree that the idiots who are busted need to go spend a LOT of time in General Population. I just wish it were 5 years instead. The case could very easily be made that it was ____ number of attempted premeditated-manslaughter counts (fill in blank with number of souls on board plane, passengers and crew alike).

What a toy!
What are they enjoying?!

Attachments

• Laser_toy.JPG
    Laser_toy.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 336
I wonder how they caught him???

Shin... thats pretty cool... I wish i had that when i was 12. i wonder how much power the diode can handle?

4 x D size batteries?
Car battery?

very interesting, Shinpachi

they shoulda given him a loooot more. that's extremely dangerous. if either of the planes had crashed, he prolly woulda been charged with mass murder and sentenced to life or death

There was a case of pilots being bothered by laser lights at Roskilde Lufthavn here in Denmark earlier this year, a sentence of up to max 8 years in prison was mentioned.
I'll see if I can find the outcome of that case. Turned out it was a middle-aged man, who was tired of the planes and choppers landing at Tune/Roskilde Airport, and so he did what he could to bother the pilots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back