352nd Fighter Group "Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alright so today I moved onto the wings, since there's no pieces beside them that goes together. It was a easy project for the night..... First I used the porridge mix Terry helped me with for a gap in the wing. The locator pin wasn't correctly positioned but no biggy

THEN

You can see my pliers made a boo boo and cut into the wing of one and there was a chunk taken out. The guy who runs my LHS taught me a trick

First take a part of sprue from the SAME kit, because some use different plastic. Then get a shallow lid and get some shavings from the sprue with you X-acto knife into the lid. Then take either Lacquer thinner or very thin plastic cement, in my case Tamiya extra thin cement, and put a few drops of that on top of the shavings. Stir them with you knife until you get a sort of paste, then with you knife apply it to the area missing. Don't apply the right amount, apply more than needed. Then work you way from 300 grit sandpaper to 600 and where's that mistake again?

NOTE: Tube cement does NOT work.

Attachments

• P7130251.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 88
  • P7130255.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 91
  • P7130258.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 80
  • P7130259.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 95
  • P7130261.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 77
  • P7130267.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 80
  • P7130266.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 105
  • P7130265.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P7130264.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 97
  • P7130262.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P7130268.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Nice one H ! Long time since I've used that method, but you're right, it works wonderfully.
Just looking at the gap in the wing leading edge. It appears that it wasn't joined fully, which normally points to an obstruction inside, such as a raised piece of 'flash' from an ejector pin mark or similar. The 'porridge' seems ti have done the trick, but you'll probably need another application, to avoid a visible indentation which will show up under the paint.
BTW, by 'soft' pictures, I meant not quite sharp, and with a colour cast and ever so slightly dark. This is due to the camera having problems focusing, partly due to it picking up the real 'colour temperature' of the artificial light used for lighting the subject.
Just set the 'White Balance' for the lighting being used, refering to the instruction manual, and try to get the light fully on the subject, avoiding a shadow on the parts being photographed. The light will probably look bright enough to the naked eye, but the camera sees it as it actually is, and will record the dark areas accordingly, which, in turn, affects the auto-focus. It's also better, if possible, to use a light-coloured background, as this will enhance the subject's outline, and provide additional reflected light.

Some photos of Bennett's Mustang...

the 2nd one is before the blue nose was added but still...

Attachments

• BEnnett 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 83
  • Bennett 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Bennett3 .jpg
    48 KB · Views: 84
Thanks Terry its greatly appreciated.

Also Glenn, it will be a good opportunity

Hmmm was at the workbench since 10:30 fixing the wings....The fuselage was a ok fit and the wings were too big and couldn't accommodate the fuselage so some sanding was in order and now I have a nice snug fit. It hasn't been glued yet *The wings*

Users who are viewing this thread