5" 38 Mark 28 Twin Gun Secondary Battery from Iowa Class Battleships

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah… I think Ryan thinks I'm going to do that…;) The Naval Architectural Firm, Gibbs & Cox, created a 1:48 Missouri model that was originally in the Smithsonian and is now at the Naval Museum at Annapolis, MD. The model is over 19' long and was specatacular in every sense of the word. I saw it years ago at the Smithsonian and have found images of the model on a Google search.

My commander in chief has green-lit my desire to get the 4th gen Elegoo Saturn Ultra 3D printer. Beside 60% increased capacity, it has a new system where the vat tilts as the platen is rising to facilitate separation of the forming model from the FEP film at the vat's bottom. By having the tilt, the separation is not a straight-up pull having large suction, but rather a sheer pull that reduces stress and increases print speed. Try pulling a bandaid straight off instead of peeling it and you get the idea. The ability to produce larger parts is necessary for the engine room project that's going to have some fairly large components in 1:48. I will need a larger ultrasonic cleaner to accomodate the bigger parts.

I'm delivering the 5"38 model on August first and will spend some serious time in Engine Room #3 doing some scans, photos and taking direct measurs on the equipment therein. I'm planning on the trip to the National Archives in October. Hopefully, I'll get what I need in one day.

Exciting news on a new 3D printer and look forward to seeing the new project come to life towards the end of this year. :thumbright: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back