"633 Sqn" Movie Mosquito.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, although it depends on the area covered, the shape of the surface, and how long the gel is left on the surface, all of which will be covered in the thread mentioned.

Good stuff Terry and I hope you had a good sleep. I checked my spares for canopy side windows and only have two flat ones and one blister. It doesn't sound like these will help you but you are welcome to them nonetheless if needed.

Thanks Andy. The B/TT35 had bulged side windows (not the earlier blister type), which are provided, but I'll need them for the B.XVI, so might as well make some to at least look similar.

Got all the sanding and clean-up done, and the airframe is now ready for the addition of some small, scratch-built details, just basic stuff, nothing too ambitious for this old model, and I'll commence this work once the resin exhausts arrive (tomorrow). These will be used to first measure what needs to be altered around the exhausts "slots", after which time, the existing, very simple scratch-built items will be removed, the slots extended as required, and cleaned of paint debris.
Meanwhile, I'm working on the canopy, where the bulged side windows need to be replicated. I'm not bothering to spend the time and effort carving and sealing a pair of balsa moulds to make the windows by heat moulding ( the Airfix kit parts are needed for a B.XVI conversion, along with the Airfix bomber canopy, using the Tamiya B/.IV kit and resin engine nacelles), and I'm hoping I can cut and shape some clear sheet to look at least "passable", and that I can get the windows to fit accurately enough.
It's a pity I lost the original balsa mould I made for the B.XVI canopy all those years ago, as I could have moulded both the PR and bomber canopies needed for both builds.
Unlike the earlier bomber and PR canopies, up to the Mk.IX, which had "blister" side windows, the later versions from the B / PR.XVI onwards had one-piece "blown" windows, which curved around to the upper frame.
The pics below show this on the RAFM Cosford Mosquito ( which appeared in "633 Sqn".), and the spare Airfix PR canopy, without the side windows in place, with a pic of my PR.IX conversion to compare with the earlier-style canopy.
Hopefully, I'll make some progress tonight and tomorrow, and I hope to have more to show then.
Thanks for looking, and I'm rather astounded that there's been such interest in this project, judging by the number of "views" to date !

Karl Mossie 1.jpg
DSCF0657.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 372.JPG

Thanks for looking, and I'm rather astounded that there's been such interest in this project, judging by the number of "views" to date !

F!ck all else to do Terry!

A thought about those bulged windows: if you can find a plastic container with the right shape you can cut the needed window from that. I did that for my Me410:

111126 Nose Glaze 1.jpg
111126 Nose Glaze 6.jpg

Ah, that's a good enough reason then !

Could work for the upper curve Andy, but the bulge is more of a bubble, so still wouldn't get the full effect.
I will investigate the use of the bottle though, as it may help with the bend into the upper frame, and I have a couple of clear plastic containers that might do the job. I've been messing around with clear sheet tonight, lots of trial and error, trying to get the shape right, with the curved top, and found it slightly hard going. This is mainly due to my hands still being rather stiff and awkward, and handling the small pieces was darned difficult.
Each window needs to be able to fit accurately into the canopy recess, and, of course, needs to be flush with the edges, and be able to be fixed firmly in place, otherwise they could pop out when removing the masking.
Thanks for the suggestion., and I'll have a go tomorrow, when I'm a bit more mobile.

I've followed Andy's suggestion, and have been experimenting with clear plastic from a suitable bottle to try to fabricate the canopy side windows.
This looks like it might work, giving a better impression of the bulge, compared to a "flat" panel, although of course, it won't be totally accurate.
It's been a bit fiddly, given the relatively small size of each window, but using the kit side windows as a template, I think I might get there in the end.
My hands and wrists still lack proper articulation, and the constant gripping and fiddling has now left them aching and slightly swollen, so I'll give it a rest and have another go tomorrow - got to wait in for a delivery anyway, so might as well kill the time somehow !

Meanwhile, the resin exhausts have arrived, and look like they'll be fine for use with the Mosquito. These are actually Spitfire exhausts, from "Brengun", and nicely moulded, with the pack containing two sets of late-style exhausts, which are more or less the same as on the two-stage Merlins on the Mosquito.
At a price of only £2.75, this is excellent value, considering other brands, with just one set of exhausts, average around £4 in price, meaning, of course, that two sets would be needed for the Mossie, and they are well worth it for anyone considering a couple of Sptfire Mk.IX/MkXIV etc builds, or even other types, such as the P-51.
All being well, I hope to have something to show sometime tomorrow.

DSCF0688.JPG

That's right Andy. They have a very slight downward angle "moulded in", but they'll need to be angled more for the Mossie, which shouldn't be too difficult - depending on how much Cabenet Sauvignon I've had !!

Sorry chaps, I'd hoped to be able to post pics of further progress, but I've been struggling to get things done today, with very stiff, painful and swollen wrists.
I did actually manage to make what looked as if it may have been a fairly good side window for the canopy, using a curved piece of clear plastic cut from a drinks bottle , but then things went t*ts up.
When checking the fit and dimensions, holding the part with tweezers against the opening in the canopy, my hand just refused to cooperate and, with a severe twinge of pain, I had to involuntarily release the grip on the tweezers, with the inevitable result being the new part "pinging" off somewhere into hyper-space, never to be seen again.
I'm sure you can all imagine my reaction, which I won't describe in detail here, but suffice to say, I think I set a new record for continuous cursing, in four languages, plus "Geordie", without once repeating myself !!!
I'd had enough by then, and "binned" things for the rest of the afternoon, allowing my temper, and swollen wrists, to settle down a little.
However, later on I at least managed to remove one of the scratch-built exhausts, and confirmed that the resin items will do the job nicely, once I've extended the forward end of he locating slot, and cleaned-up the area.
I'm hoping I can get this done tomorrow, and maybe have enough freedom of movement to continue with the canopy side windows. If so, then I'll post another up-date then.
Thanks again to all who've "looked in", your interest is appreciated.

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I seem to remember that....in the flying cockpit shots....the aircraft didn't seem to have any vertical tail surfaces. Bad memory?

You're correct Jim.
The "in cockpit" shots were done in the studio, against a projected backdrop, using an actual cockpit which had been taken from one of the airframes.
The cockpit shots also lacked the WW2 period radio equipment, which would have been prominent, but to be fair, in 1963, when the movie was made, the airworthy Mosquitos used also lacked these radios, employing (then) modern equipment instead.

I still haven't made much further progress, as my hands (and feet and knees) have been really tender and lacking articulation over the last few days, making it extremely difficult, and often quite painful, to try to tackle delicate work. It seems to be settling down a little though, so with luck, I might be able to get some work done over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back