65 Years Ago - Loa Kulu Massacre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
The unimaginable cruelty that the Japanese were capable of just boggles my mind. When people complain about the "poor Japanese suffering from the atomic bombs", I just want to tell them about events like this and why I shed no tears over what happened at Hiroshima.

In 1942, After surrendering to overwhelming numbers of Japanese troops, around one hundred members of the Netherlands East Indies Army were disarmed and for a while permitted restricted freedom in the town of Samarinda, in Borneo, where most of the soldiers lived with their families.

Early on the morning of July 30, 1945, all prisoners, including their families, were rounded up and taken before a Japanese officer who summarily sentenced them all to death. No reason was given as they were bundled into lorries and taken to Loa Kulu just outside the town. There they had their hands tied behind their backs and as the men and children watched, the women were systematically cut to pieces with swords and bayonets until they all died. The screaming children were then seized and hurled alive down a 600 foot deep mine shaft. The men captives, forced to kneel and witness the butchery of their wives and children, and suffering the most indescribable mental torture, were then lined up for execution by beheading. When the grisly ritual was over, the bloodied corpses and severed heads of the 144 men were then thrown down the mine shaft on top of their murdered wives and children. The horror of Loa Kulu was discovered by Australian troops who had earlier started a search for the missing Dutch soldiers.

Absolutely horrifying.

Not to take away from what the Germans did (they were absolutely the worst crimes imaginable), but I think that a lot of people forget that the Germans were not the only ones who did such horrible things.

This only reminds us...

Thanks sys.

Just for the record, I harbor no grudge or hatred toward Japan or Germany.

These events are long in the past, and the people who committed the crimes are long gone.

Remember the event. But don't blame people for historical incidents from the past they had nothing to do with .... the "sins of the fathers".

Just for the record, I harbor no grudge or hatred toward Japan or Germany.

These events are long in the past, and the people who committed the crimes are long gone.

Remember the event. But don't blame people for historical incidents from the past they had nothing to do with .... the "sins of the fathers".

I certainly agree with you as well on this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back