A-Bombing Germany

which plane?

• other........... (post below the plane you think.........)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very interesting, I did not know about that training exercise. I don't believe they considered A-bombing Germany either, what would be the point?
They probably hit Japan as a revenge strike, being a racial strike is a little strong. Although they may have tested it in Mexico, there's nothing more accurate than combat testing. It's the same with planes, you don't know how good, or bad they are until you combat test them.

You're almost witnessing the same thing again on a smaller scale, in Iraq -The 4 guys killed, burned, then dragged through the streets has enraged the Western World...' bloody sandal-slapping Arabs playing dirty!'...so some Iraqi prisoners suffer some 'indignities' as a consequence, [nothing too serious, like Sadaam was doing], but where you have the 'greater Arab population' being regarded as 'barbaric', post 9/11, with 'Holy Jihads and suicide-bombers', the Western reaction is getting more 'loaded', isn't it ?- And one shouldn't forget who started it...the Japs in WWII, and now since 9/11, the Western World is once more in a War, of a different kind this time, started by disgruntled Arabs using [yet again] terror-tactics...

Yes, the new terror is even worse than the Japanese and German one, at least back then they had the army waving its banner. The arabs, or anyone for that matter that plays on terror rely on Western goodwill to not start checking and killing anyone and everyone, they don't realise with the troops on the ground goodwill can only be pushed so far.

I don't know what's gonna come from it all, but it's 'Terror-attack on anything,' that's got the World on Alert - even down here, Security has been stepped-up. When rabid zealots start offing innocents, creating financial domestic upheaval, nationally internationally, we've got to take action. - Guerillas defend their countries against invaders, if they attack military targets...- Terrorists are those who murder innocent civilians to make their point, because they haven't got the balls for a Real Fair Firefight ...there should be no mercy for captured Terrorists, why else do we have Geneva Conventions and such 'rules of engagement'...it's about time the toothless UN got it's finger-out...

I'm abit non-plussed that the Alliance weren't keeping Iraq's borders secured since the Invasion, it's obvious they're being out-flanked by Al-Quaeda operatives infiltrating...setting-off the local insurgents...

Yes, but the Coalition would be far stretched policing the whole border. It doesn't help with countries like Spain pulling out. Maybe the Iraqis, and the terrorists will push us too far and we could bring back World War 2 style carpet bombing, only with B-52 which make B-17 and all the other World War 2 bombers look like little girls toys.

Oh yeah, the French would LOVE that! I wasn't going to name countries, but since it's been brought up. Spain is the perfect example of what I was talking about. I don't want to belittle the tragedy of the Madrid attacks, but numerically they don't even come close to the devesation of whole cities during WWII, yet those citizens never sued for peace.

I'm going to say B-29 as well.

The Lanc would have been hard pressed to get out of the way of a nuke. The post-war Lincolns had to enter a shallow dive in order to have the speed needed to escape the blast radius. If it had happened, it would have been a B-29.

No, definately the Lancaster ! - They didn't have but one B-29 in the U.K. anyway, and the conversion needed was extensive....There was no need to use the Bomb on Germany ! - We had them on the run, and besides, Patton wanted all the glory. - As far as the Lancaster went, they just needed to put on some Griffons and pressurise the cockpit, no problem !! - Another reason they chose to drop them on Japan INSTEAD, was Japan had it's own little nuclear program and Allied Intelligence couldn't find-out exactly how far they were with it, they couldn't infiltrate 'honkey' agents in to find-out, so they got the Big Delivery...everything indicated it was going to be a real bitch of a scrap to beat them, their terror Kamikaze's left no doubt that if they had a Bomb ready, they'd use it too - We bet them to it, and as it it turned-out, they weren't all that far with their nuke program....tough-titty, they were the Aggressors and they got scragged...I don't know why you insist that they were going to A-bomb Germany, it was already getting pretty 'munted' by the RAF 8th AF, Hitler had obviously over-committed themselves to 'history repeating Napoleon', they weren't hysterical, fanatical barbarians like the Japs...dedicated Nazis perhaps, but captured Germans were not all party zealots, that's how we got so many aviation radar advantages, quite a few Luftwaffe types saw through the High Command's bullshit, and defected with their planes, plus, as I've said before, we neutralised their nuclear program...something we COULDN'T do with Japan....

I don't know of any plans to ever use the bomb on Germany, but if there were any it would have been the B-29 to do it. Before you say they only had to put some Griffons and pressurize the Lanc, you may want to think about what that involves. True the Griffon wasn't much larger than the Merlin but it produced about 50% more power. That means that the entire engine mount will have to be massively reinforced. I'm not sure, but that much extra torque may have required adjustments to the flight surfaces to keep the plane stable. And pressurization was a monster on an aircraft as large as the Lanc. America had all kinds of problems before they go it right on the B-29. Pressurization requires an air-tight seal around every joint and window. The Lanc might have been modified, but it would have taken a while. The B-29 only needed some (relatively) minor adjustments to the bomb bay.

Whites aren't honkey to the Japanese it's Kai Jin or Gaijin(Spelling? I can't remember which one).
They would have never bombed Germany, they were on the run. The Japanese did deserve it, we would have never taken Japan without it. They had over 14 million people ready to fight, and ready to kill themselves for the cause. That's a lot of lives lost.

I think the Allies could have finished Japan without using the bomb but the death toll would have been horrible. Japan in 1945 was an absolute fortess and records captured after the war showed that the Japanese were planning on using chemical and biological weapons against attacking soldiers.

that's what Mrs. Banks would say...............

The Lanc would have been hard pressed to get out of the way of a nuke.

wonderfull things, time delay fuses................

The Lanc might have been modified, but it would have taken a while.

it didn't take long to modify a lanc, the bomb bay was pretty huge any way, it could easily take the weight to germany and back..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back