A few more future releases.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, seems very prevalent.
However, I welcome the Spit Mk.IX, as the only other current alternative is the superb Tamiya kit, which is a bit pricey if, like me, you don't need or want all the engine detail etc., building as 'closed up', apart from the open cockpit.

Agree Andy - even to same markings in many cases! Ridiculous.

Thank God for the Czech manufacturers, is all I can say.

(That is a lovely build Terry btw... Great conversion!)

Yes, but it's in and out of production, still relatively expensive, and I believe a tad tricky. Good to see a 'mainline' kit at a reasonable price which, from Revell, should at least be good to very good.
BUT !
Where's the bl**dy 1/48th scale Mk.XIV ??!!!

Just out of curiosity, I have found lots of different versions of the Spitfire but admit I have not seen a Mk.XIV one. Is there something special about that particular version that is of interest to you? Or are you just interested in a complete set as it were?

The Mk.XIV was the first 'full production' Griffon - engined Spitfire to see service in WW2, following the 'short-run' Mk.XII, and saw service countering the V1, as well as a fighter capable of taking on anything the Luftwaffe had around.
Next to the Mk.IX, it's possibly the most important later war Spitfire built, and only two companies have released kits in 1/48th scale so far, both inaccurate, although one of these, from Hobbycraft (now OOP), is slightly better overall. The other, in two versions from Academy (high back and low back) are visually inaccurate, and very much so.
I have a Hobbycraft version, which I'm in the process of 're-converting' back to a Mk.XIV, having converted it to a PR.19, and another HC kit yet to build, but it's about time a mainline manufacturer released a good, accurate kit of this important, and very powerful-looking fighter, and Airfix, having already released kits of the majority of major Marques of Spitfire and Seafire, including a very nice PR.19 which is basically the same airframe, would, I think, be favourite in the running.
As for 'special', maybe it's that long, aggressively attractive nose with the big, five blade prop, which I think is equal in 'visual appeal' to the clean lines of the Mk.1, and the streamlined symmetry of the Mk.IX.

I was reading up on that particular Spit, and am surprised there are no quality kits for it as it indeed appears to be a very important version. One thing I keep seeing in reference to the Spitfires is the term "Clipped" wings. The article referenced stress wrinkles in early versions of the Mk.XIV around load attachment points and said this was addressed by adding clipped wings. Was this some way of changing the airfoil to reduce stress?

Without checking my references, I don't think there were that many 'clipped' Mk.XIVs around, compared to the 'full span' version, and I don't recall any problems with stress, although that's not to say it didn't happen.
The main reason for the clipped wing, was for an improved roll rate and turn at medium to low altitude, which started out on the Mk.V, as a 'mod', with the type seeing service with both full span and clipped wings, as did the later Mk.IX, and, of course, the Mk.XII was only built with clipped wings.
When some Spits were used in the fighter bomber role, it may be that the stresses involved at relatively low altitudes, and with the dive angles employed, resulted in the wings being 'clipped' on the aircraft in those units continuously employed in that role. The wing tips on the Spitfire were easily unbolted, and the ends then faired with a wooden end cap.

All very well put Terry and wholeheartedly endorsed by yours truly.

In regard to the clipped wing XIV, I think this may have been more common than you have suggested. Over half the pics I have of XIV's flown by Canadians (from Brackens' two books) are clipped wing versions.

Users who are viewing this thread