A LOT OF STUFF GOING ON!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
If any of you meatballs have noticed, I haven't been spending too much time on here lately as a lot of things (good things) have been going on in my life.

First, I purchased a condo, moved in last week and loving it. I'm about 2 minutes from my kids so the single parent thing has got a lot easier.

Work has been pretty exciting - the USAFA is getting 18 new gliders on the soaring program. DG-1001S "Club" with an 18 meter wingspan. Additionally the powered flight program and my program are merging so our operation will double in size. I'm told I will remain the QC Manager and Chief Inspector on the whole operation. In addition to that the USAFA also announced today that they will be purchasing SR-22s as permanent aircraft for the Powered Flight Program (PFP). Right now they are operating DA-40s owned by my company.

My last bit of news in which I am honored and humbled to announce...

2011 National General Aviation Award Winners Named
Tue, 08 Mar '11

FAA Recognizes Aviation Professionals For Contributions In Their Fields
In each of the past 48 years, the General Aviation Awards program and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) have recognized a small group of aviation professionals in the fields of flight instruction, aviation maintenance, avionics, and safety for their contributions to aviation, education, and flight safety.

This awards program is a cooperative effort between the FAA and more than a dozen industry sponsors. The selection process begins with local FAA Safety Team managers at Flight Standards District Offices (FSDOs) and then moves on to the eight regional FAA offices. Previous national awards winners from each of those four fields then select national winners from the pool of regional winners.

Recipients of this year's national awards are Joseph "Joe" Morales of Lakewood, Colorado, Aviation Maintenance Technician (AMT) of the Year; Russell John "Russ" Callender of Houlton, Wisconsin, Avionics Technician of the Year; MCFI-Aerobatic Judy Ann Phelps of Santa Paula, California, Certificated Flight Instructor (CFI) of the Year; and MCFI Vicki Lynn Sherman of DeLand, Florida, FAA Safety Team Representative of the Year. Previously, this award was the Aviation Safety Counselor (ASC) of the Year.

The FAA administrator will present the national awards in July during a "Theater in the Woods" program at EAA AirVenture 2011 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Included in the prize package for all four national winners is an all expense paid trip to Oshkosh for the recipient and a guest to attend the awards presentation and other GA Awards activities.

"These awards highlight the important role played by these individuals in promoting aviation education and flight safety," said JoAnn Hill, General Aviation Awards Committee chairperson. "The awards program sponsors and supporters are pleased that these outstanding aviation professionals will receive the recognition they so richly deserve before their peers in Oshkosh."

2011 National AMT Of The Year

Joe Morales of Lakewood, Colorado, has been an airframe and powerplant (A&P) technician for 31 years and has held inspection authorization (IA) for 18 of those years. Joe works at the US Air Force Academy for Doss Aviation Inc performing contract maintenance on aircraft used in the academy's soaring and skydiving programs. Joe is also a CFI and provides flight training at Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport (BJC) in Broomfield, Colorado, on a part time basis.

He currently serves as chief inspector at two repair stations operated by Doss Aviation. A single parent and the father of two young daughters who are the love of his life, Joe carefully divides his time between his two passions, family and aviation. A member of the AMT Society and AOPA, he is a FAASTeam representative and a captain in the Civil Air Patrol.

Morales represented the Denver FSDO area as well as the FAA's Northwest Mountain Region.

Aero-News Network: The Aviation and Aerospace World's Daily/Real-Time News and Information Service

Excellent news on all fronts. Re the DG 1001 Gliders, if they are half as good as the K21 they are replacing they will be a joy to fly. I had many hours in the K21 as a trainer, the only problem with them was that they were all but impossible to spin. So much so we had to use an old K13 for spin training which for some insane reason is my favourite trainer despite its years and lack of modern performance.

Would be interested to know sometime if this problem with spinning still exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back