A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Book finally came today and have been browsing it for the last 20 minutes. Paper quality is really good. Nice hard cover book. Pictures are sharp but in some aspects I am disappointed in the book. It seems to be more of an over view of the B-25 at least to me. Talks about history. Talks briefly of other countries that flew it along with different branches of the US history. Everything is very brief and leaving the reader wanting more.

I don't think there was one picture that I had not seen before on the B-25. A lot pictures of employees doing different tasks in the company but I was hoping for more break down pictures of different stages of assembly of the B-25. The book shows lots of things such as a woman checking the stock room or an employee checking out a jig from tooling department, using a drill press or lathe. You can go to LIFE magazine and get some of the same photos for free including the name reference in the pictures for bigger sizes than you can in the book

There is no performance info in the book, no three D diagram's. When you do get to the pictures of the b-25 being assembled most of the pictures are an inch high and maybe an inch to two inch's long. The last 22 pages of the book to me are useless. They contain pictures from magazine, advertisments and articles on the B-25 but none of them are complete. Just a page here and there. Three pages of the book just show pictures of different aircraft manuals for the aircraft but that's it.

There is lots of potential for the book but to me its lacking in lots of aspects. If you want a pretty good book on the B-25 I recommend William Wolfs book. It's still missing info but way more complete on the B-25 of similar layout to this one. Its more money but to me well worth the cost. I will dig deeper into it but really what I was hoping for was bigger pictures of the assembly of the aircraft itself, maybe a few factory drawings. The manual pictures are just a tease. Just a pictures of what each version of the B-25 was per manual. No pictures of installation of the top or bottom turrets on early models or any models for that matter. No bomb site pictures. Very few internal pictures.

Hope this helps.

All the best
Paul

Thanks Paul

That is a real bugger because I am more interested in photos of the components and processes used to make them. There is heaps of history for most types but very little on the manufacturing

Mi

Not sure what to expect with these but just ordered them other than the title.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I think Mr. Friedman wrote a series of illustrated books on various US Navy ships. If it is the same guy, I would expect good things as these other books are very good.

Just arrived.
Looks like the LCA series is going to exceed the predicted 10 volumes.
The BoB Combat Archive volume is an extra-large edition this time, with some great artwork, photos and accounts etc.

Buys 469.jpg
Buys 470.jpg

Quick question Terry, any idea how many aircraft were shot down over the U.K.? I just tried to do a Google search and most of the info concerns the BoB period. This is supposedly the first aircraft shot down so how many books are you going to need?

1414686125476_wps_26_75_years_ago_the_first_Ge.jpg

Geo, sorry for the late reply - been having trouble accessing the forum properly, due to a problem somewhere, which I've informed Wojtek about.
Not sure what the total is, although I think it might be mentioned in Volume One of LCA, but it was certainly a lot !
The LCA series covers every known loss over the British Isles and Territorial Waters, and, as Volume Ten covers 1943, with previous volumes sometimes only covering two or three months of a particular year, the remainder being covered in the following volume, and there's still 1944 to go, you can get an idea of just how many aircraft came down on these small bits of rock.

Jim, they're both excellent sets, and well worth the investment. The BoB Archive covers every engagement which took place during the Battle, most having maps, diagrams, photos, some with profiles and / or artwork, combat reports, contemporary accounts (from both sides) and losses and claims - an incredible piece of work for each volume.

Hmmm...good haul there. What's the "Achtung Moskito" book like?

Book showed up today and what a monster it is at 480 pages long and full of great pictures and stories of mosquito pilots and there navigators who carried out operations against targets in Europe and Scandinavia for the USAAF and the RAF. It does not have specs on the mosquito or break downs. This book is about real stories of men who took it into combat. Pictures of men and machines, bases, targets all on a good quality paper.The back of the book has appendix that has Mosquito air to air victories from 1942 through April 1945. Shows, Date, type of aircraft mosquito was. Serial number of the mosquito, squadron, Enemy plane and more. Another appendix covers a brief history of all the squadrons that flew the mosquito. Book weighs almost 6 pounds and is hardcover.

HPIM3193.JPG

Darn! That means I'll have to get it then !!
A bit concerned though that it may be a compilation of all the other stuff he's done on the Mossie, collected into one volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back