A new book in my library. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Paul

That is a real bugger because I am more interested in photos of the components and processes used to make them. There is heaps of history for most types but very little on the manufacturing

Mi

Just arrived.
Looks like the LCA series is going to exceed the predicted 10 volumes.
The BoB Combat Archive volume is an extra-large edition this time, with some great artwork, photos and accounts etc.

Quick question Terry, any idea how many aircraft were shot down over the U.K.? I just tried to do a Google search and most of the info concerns the BoB period. This is supposedly the first aircraft shot down so how many books are you going to need?

Geo, sorry for the late reply - been having trouble accessing the forum properly, due to a problem somewhere, which I've informed Wojtek about.
Not sure what the total is, although I think it might be mentioned in Volume One of LCA, but it was certainly a lot !
The LCA series covers every known loss over the British Isles and Territorial Waters, and, as Volume Ten covers 1943, with previous volumes sometimes only covering two or three months of a particular year, the remainder being covered in the following volume, and there's still 1944 to go, you can get an idea of just how many aircraft came down on these small bits of rock.

Jim, they're both excellent sets, and well worth the investment. The BoB Archive covers every engagement which took place during the Battle, most having maps, diagrams, photos, some with profiles and / or artwork, combat reports, contemporary accounts (from both sides) and losses and claims - an incredible piece of work for each volume.

Hmmm...good haul there. What's the "Achtung Moskito" book like?

Book showed up today and what a monster it is at 480 pages long and full of great pictures and stories of mosquito pilots and there navigators who carried out operations against targets in Europe and Scandinavia for the USAAF and the RAF. It does not have specs on the mosquito or break downs. This book is about real stories of men who took it into combat. Pictures of men and machines, bases, targets all on a good quality paper.The back of the book has appendix that has Mosquito air to air victories from 1942 through April 1945. Shows, Date, type of aircraft mosquito was. Serial number of the mosquito, squadron, Enemy plane and more. Another appendix covers a brief history of all the squadrons that flew the mosquito. Book weighs almost 6 pounds and is hardcover.

Darn! That means I'll have to get it then !!
A bit concerned though that it may be a compilation of all the other stuff he's done on the Mossie, collected into one volume.

Users who are viewing this thread