A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some good stuff here, and that's a great find Graeme.

Still waiting for Amazon to deliver 'Achtung Moskito !' ........... ordered 20th January, at about half price. Probably explains why I'm still waiting !

Definitely contact Amazon
I had a missing package recently (over a week past the due date for arrival according to their tracking) so I emailed the transport company - they said they had never received the package.
I complained to Amazon (using forward on the above email) and they immediately shipped another via DHL and that arrived within a week.
A month later the original arrived showing it was shipped the day Amazon claimed it was. When I contacted Amazon and asked what to do with the second package their answer was keep it.

Amazon's customer service, for me, has always been excellent. While I have not had to contact them often, when I do, they always quickly address the issue and always in my favor. One of the reasons I use them.

Sorry guys been really busy as of late and not around much but had a chance to order these.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

A few more recent additions to my library:

51iLkmCI5LL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The 347th FG included the 67th FS flying ex-RAF P-400s The author served in the 347th. Book was signed by the author and, apparently, gifted to a niece and nephew. For some reason, they elected not to keep it. Can't figure out people like that!

pilot.jpg

Brian Burnett was a member of the Long Range Development Flight that flew 3 Vickers Wellesleys to Australia in 1938 setting a world record that stood until 1945. It remains the world record for a long-range flight by a single-engine, piston-engined aircraft. Burnett flew Whitleys operationally during WWII but then moved to command training activities in Canada. After the war he continued to serve in Bomber Command and later Strike Command, seeing the introduction of the V-bomber force. After retirement he led the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club (he'd played tennis at a very high standard throughout his Service career). Interesting bloke!

51tKelpWThL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thorpe was an intelligence officer assigned to the Dutch East Indies just prior to the Japanese attacks on US, Dutch and Commonwealth forces in the Pacific. This is more a collection of anecdotes than an autobiography but is interesting nonetheless due to his position and access.

9781853104398-us-300.jpg

The title on this one says it all. Haven't delved into it yet - it was a freebie offered by a work colleague.

41xyD8Mk7CL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I haven't spent too much time looking at this one either, although I am fascinated by the decisions Japan made in the period 1930-1941 that ultimately led to war. I can also recommend the book below which provides primary source material on the political meetings in the run up to the outbreak of war in the Pacific:

pid_2770.jpg

LOTS of reading for me to do! :)

Last edited:
I just got The First Eagles, by Gavin Mortimer, put out by Zenith Press..
About Americans flying for the RAF before the USA entered WW1.
Lots of first hand accounts, from letters and diaries.

Ohhh that looks nice Wayne, as far as the Akagi book goes I just got bad news. Its not going to ship now until April 28. I guess I am glad though I had pre ordered the book as they jumped the price up to $34 bucks when I am getting it for less than 20 bucks but barely less when it does ship :)

This one just jumped to the top of the reading pile:

51Fc5Bw%2B1fL.jpg

I've been looking for a good single volume focused on the Battle of the Imjin and this one caught my eye. I was hooked after reading the introduction. Looks like the author has done his homework with copious sourcing that spans official documents and personal recollections.

The Wikipedia entry has a pretty good overall summary of the battle for those who haven't heard of it:

Battle of the Imjin River - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back