A Soldier's Photo Album (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
An aunt of a good friend of mine passed away recently at the age of 91. Her uncle who served in WWII is unable to care for himself so he is going to be going into a home soon. My friend has been going through their things trying to get stuff together and clean the house out for the move. In the course of all this she has been coming across memorabilia from her uncle's time in the service. She loaned his photo album which I scanned a few pics and have posted them here.

If anybody recognizes anything from these pics, please let me know. My friend would love to know where these places are and what her uncle was doing during the war. She said he has mentioned that he was in 3 "D-Day" attacks which I think he means he was involved in 3 assaults like Normandy, Husky, etc. He stated he was in the 66th Ordinance which I'm trying to verify. Any help would be cool.

First up are pics of Camp Life.

War001.jpg
War002.jpg
War003.jpg
War005.jpg
War006.jpg
War007.jpg
War008.jpg
War014.jpg
War031.jpg
War033.jpg
War041.jpg
War0042.jpg
War043.jpg
War051.jpg
War052.jpg

Great stuff. Any more of the Ju88G? I think the guys over at LEMB would be happy to see them. Mind if I ask about these over there? By he way, I've reveresed the one that's backwards:

War046a.jpg

Yup, I noticed that after I scanned. The original photo is flipped for some reason. I was trying to read the Werk Number when I realized it. This is just a cropped copy for the forum. I still have the original scanned at 3500 px width.

I think the tail pics are from a He 177.

Oh, go ahead and ask!

Last edited:
Great pics Chris, thanks for posting!

Agree with Andy - Ju 88G I reckon (definitely not an He 177 anyway - tail too tall and narrow, and full length rudder with no tail gun position)

Below the picture of the Eiffel Tower is a picture of Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome. It is shown again a few more pictures down. It is the circular building to the left of the bridge (in the picture).

Castel Sant'Angelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mausoleum of Hadrian, usually known as the Castel Sant'Angelo (English: Castle of the Holy Angel), is a towering cylindrical building in Parco Adriano, Rome, Italy. It was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum.

Alright!! Slowly but surely I'm getting all the places. Been posting on Facebook with the pics.

Well, we have the Coliseum, Vatican and Campy Lucky nailed down over at FB...

The website that has GREAT information about the "Cigarette Camps" in the Le Havre area is found here: The Cigarette Camps: U. S. Army Camps in the Le Havre Area -- Introduction

That also looks like one of the K5e rail cannons used in Italy, hard to say if it was Leopold (Anzio Annie) or Robert (Anzio Express)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back