A Soldier's Photo Album

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow, what an afternoon.

I was honored to have lunch with Mr. Peter Remington who is my friend's uncle. He is 92 years old and served in WWII in an ordinance company in the motor pool fixing trucks, jeeps, etc. His age prevented him from remembering much about his service (he does have early stages Alzheimer's) but he has some great stories that he did remember and a few other tidbits. He took most of the pics in this thread. From what he told me, he landed in North Africa (Operation Torch), at Salerno, Italy, at Anzio (Operation Shingle) and southern France (Operation Dragoon). I'll be adding some of his stories with the pics I've been scanning.

The pics posted here are my friend Linda and her uncle, Mr. Remington and then me and Mr. Remington and finally Mr. Remington in 1942.

band 016.jpg

band 017.jpg

War125.jpg

STORY BEHIND THE PIC: This pic shows Uncle Pete in the cockpit of a Spitfire. There were two such planes that were on transfer flight into the area where Uncle Pete was stationed. Everybody was told about this and to expect the planes in the morning. In the morning the planes arrived on schedule but...... nobody bothered to let the AA guys know. Within seconds the sky was filled with flak and one of the Spitfires was brought down and the pilot killed. This one (in the pic) made a safe landing.

War019.jpg

I took one of the pics from his time in Italy and grabbed a contemporary pic of the same building only today and combined the 2. Pretty cool I think - 70 years apart!

Roma-Piazza-Venezia-001.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I must report that Uncle Pete passed away today at 2:50pm. His niece - seen in the above pic - passed away last week. This is a very rough time for the family.

Yes, I'm devastated. Uncle Pete was a nice man but I didn't know him very well. His niece was a very good friend that I'm having a hard time accepting that she is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back