A Tale of Two Messerschmitts

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
I named this thread according with the title of the article to which you will find link at the end of this post, but what really fascinated me is the story about second Bf 109 told in this article, namely Bf 109G W.Nr. 610937. This particular airplane is now painted to represent an aircraft flown by Germany's leading ace, Erich Hartman and is on display in preserved condition (fluids drained) at the Captain Michael King Smith Evergreen Aviation Educational Institute in McMinnville, Oregon (picture bellow).

But to my surprise I learned that this very same Bf 109 was once used operationally by the Yugoslav Air Force in the 50s and that it was afterward in possession of the Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade. Now, I knew that there were two Bf 109s in our Museum, one on display (Bf 109G-2) and other in storage waiting for restoration (Bf 109G-10). I also heard that this other plane was sold to foreign buyer because Museum lacked funds for its restoration, but I had no idea what became of this airplane and who actually bought it. In this article you can find entire story how this plane came to the US but also about its very interesting history before that, for this particular Bf 109 was flown by Luftwaffe, but also postwar in Bulgaria and Yugoslavia, only to find its way to the United States.

So, here's the link to the full article. Enjoy...

A Tale of Two Me-109s

Attachments

• image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 339
  • bf109g10.jpg
    bf109g10.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Thank you guys and girls. I'm glad you found this story interesting. I'm little sad though for this Bf 109G-10 no longer being in Museum in my country, but I guess it at least ended up with some fine people who were able to restore it and now when on display many people will be able to see this part of living history. It is better this way rather then to keep it stored indefinitely with little hope for restoration...

Last edited:
This interesting photos were posted on one Serbian forum. Unfortunately author of these photos is unknown.

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 9644/White 44 is here shown in basement of Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade. The airframe was classified as "insufficiently preserved for museum exhibition" and thus was sold to United States...

Attachments

• depo1.jpg
    depo1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 211
  • depo2.jpg
    depo2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 197
  • depo3.jpg
    depo3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 204
Couple more shots of "White 44" after arrival to her new home at Evergreen Aviation Educational Institute in McMinnville, Oregon. The last photo is for comparison how she looks today after the restoration...

Attachments

• us1.jpg
    us1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 209
  • us2.jpg
    us2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 207
  • us3.jpg
    us3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 201
curious about what else they have. In that first pic I spy a P-51? maybe , something with a radial (can't tell very well) and is that an Erla hood sitting next to the Bf 109?

An interesting read .
Not a P51 but a cannon armed Spitfire, what looks like a US radial with four bladed prop and the wing with US star and bar from a P38?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back