Abandoned, Retired and Rusty Relics.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Probably not as much as an earlier model would be worth ('64 or earlier)

This one looks to be a '65 or '66 (maybe even a '64)...hard to tell unless I could see the front turn signals.

It has the thick trim, but it's missing the typical "1300" seen on the deck lid (boot or engine cowl cover) of most '66 models.

Seem to have the smaller taillights though, when did they change to the larger ones?

Seem to have the smaller taillights though, when did they change to the larger ones?
Those tail light assemblies were found on the bug from '63 through '66. The '67 Bug's tail lights were a mixed bag of earlier style and a type that had a reverse lamp lens, the '68 were larger and all had a reverse lamp lens.

Before 1964, the Bug's decklid (engine cover) had the "Pope's nose" style license plate lamp housing and the decklid had a taper at the base for those early years, changing with the '67.

So seeing the front turn lamps would help narrow it down some, since they were white in a small housing until 1964, amber in a small housing for 1965/66 and amber in a larger housing for 1967.

I still think it's a '65, possibly a '66 :)

I miss having a Bug, they were alot of fun to own drive.

except driving one in the winter!! those heater boxes really didnt do much and forget defrosting the windshield! we used a 12 volt hair dryer for doing that....lol.

My '66 was fully tricked out in true "Cal-Bug" fashion and even though I had the 36 horse shroud and headers on my pumped up 1300, I didn't replace the heater boxes with "J" tubes, which allowed me heat during the winter (only when I was in motion, of course) but in Southern California, harsh winter conditions like ice, snow and low temps weren't a problem. Well, unless we drove up to the nearby mountains...lol

My money pit was a '65 Austin Healey Sprite Mark III. Spoked and chromed wheels, with 1275CC Cooper engine and Scott Blower. Flat drop forged Pistons, large valves, double strength valve springs, blueprinted crankshaft. I put in a stroker crank, but needed to strengthen the crank assembly with four bolt mains. straight through exhaust with extractors. Then i needed to to put extra heavy duty sway bars on the thing to make it a bit safe going around corners. Needed to put in a power booster and oversized brake discs (Mk IIIs had front discs at least). It needed a new, oversize radiator and a water pump to improve cooling. From memory i ran it at 5-6 lbs boost

Acelaration was pretty good, at about 0 to 60mph in about 6.8 seconds. Top speed was initially disappointing,, but them I put in the fifth gear overdrive kit, which did improve things a little. I think i mamanged to get 103mph on a straight level section of the highway once or twice. Most Sprites are only good to cruise at around 6-65 mph, but mine could comfortably cruise at 75mph all day with the strengthened lower engine.

I bought the thing in 1985, spent $15K and many hours doing it up, crashed it, rebuilt it, another 7K. It rusted the floor, put a new floor pan kit in, new harness, and carpet kit. Went on a 2500 trip to Perth and back....not comfortable. Used it as my daily drive until 1998, got married, had my son, no room for three in a two place car. sold it for $22000 and still miss it.

I have had 2 money pits - one I loved and one I...well. It was a 1973 Fiat 850 Spyder. Enough said.

The love was a 1978 Ford F-250 4X4 with a 351 M and a New Process 435 tranny with a granny gear. Dana 44 front and Dana 70 rear with Detroit Lockers. No lift. Truck would go through anything. Finally sold it when the marriage went south. I should have joined it.

Last edited:
A buddy at work sent me this e-mail. (I asked for more information)

Derelict British DeHavilland Dove Mk 5. I found it at the fence line of a private property. There were a lot of other old airplane wrecks in the property. Have to go back one day for a pick around the place. (See below)

p2.JPG

Westland Wessex /Sikorsky S58 ex Australian Navy.

p1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back