Adler's daily dose of Metal (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, Eric, are you cruising down the road, blasting your stereo then, like in your younger days, to the horror and frustration of parents and elderly, headbanging of course? ;) :lol:

So, Eric, are you cruising down the road, blasting your stereo then, like in your younger days, to the horror and frustration of parents and elderly, headbanging of course? ;) :lol:
Who isn't??

My only regret these days, is that I didn't have such a badass stereo back then (this is not to say that it wasn't badass, but not on this scale!)

Well, that and knowing what I know today sure would have come in handy back then, too...but we're not going to go there :evil4:

Hell YEAH! \m/

Who isn't??

My only regret these days, is that I didn't have such a badass stereo back then (this is not to say that it wasn't badass, but not on this scale!)

Well, that and knowing what I know today sure would have come in handy back then, too...but we're not going to go there :evil4:

heavy-metal.jpg

And on to today's daily dose of metal...

Armored Saint - Reign of Fire
Album: Symbol of Salvation (1991)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJuVyJDvMc

ArmoredSaint-SymbolofSalvation-front.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread Chris, sorry I'm onto it so late!

Eric, we may indeed be long lost brothers! :) The metal I always loved is also the 80's stuff from Metallica, Megadeth, Motley Crue, and (of course!) the immortal: Alice Cooper! (Any era from him!)
Like different stuff from others too of course (esp. Led Zep, 'Maiden, Queensryche, early G'n'R, and ACDC), but those were always my favourites.

The 90's saw a huge change in music styles generally, and I started losing touch with metal when it started going commercial. (Living out of a back pack for a few years also played a large role!)
A few gems did come out of the period though: Queensryche's 'Silent lucidity', 'Another rainy night' and 'Jet city woman', Metallica's 'Enter Sandman', Ozzy's 'No more tears', Extreme's 'Play with me' and 'Hole hearted', and Robert Plant's 'I believe' and '29 palms' etc... all of which I love to this day...

We certainly have the same tastes in music, Evan. I have been using Spotify and Youtube to fins stuff I like these days. There aren't any real rock stations around anymore in LA, sadly. With that list, one I was surprised not to see was Dream Theater.

Some of the newer stuff I have been listening to lately is Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Godsmack, Bullet for my Valentine and some others. There are still some great bands out there, they're just not getting radio play. But I see that market changing, at least in the US. Music is going through some big changes industry wide, some good, some bad. But I like the idea of the record company stranglehold on artist being threatened by the changes. There was a point in my life where I was semi-professional in the music business (guitar, keyboards, vocals). But a number of things made me give up pursuing it as a career.

Anywho, sorry for thread jacking, Chris. Let's get back to some head banging \m/

Great thread Chris, sorry I'm onto it so late!

Eric, we may indeed be long lost brothers! :) The metal I always loved is also the 80's stuff from Metallica, Megadeth, Motley Crue, and (of course!) the immortal: Alice Cooper! (Any era from him!)
Like different stuff from others too of course (esp. Led Zep, 'Maiden, Queensryche, early G'n'R, and ACDC), but those were always my favourites.

The 90's saw a huge change in music styles generally, and I started losing touch with metal when it started going commercial. (Living out of a back pack for a few years also played a large role!)
A few gems did come out of the period though: Queensryche's 'Silent lucidity', 'Another rainy night' and 'Jet city woman', Metallica's 'Enter Sandman', Ozzy's 'No more tears', Extreme's 'Play with me' and 'Hole hearted', and Robert Plant's 'I believe' and '29 palms' etc... all of which I love to this day...

Well after aviation, music is my other passion. I can't imagine a life with out. I love all kinds of rock, but metal is my real passion when it comes to music.

I agree, the 80s era is my absolute favorite when it comes to metal. My favorites of course are:

Metallica
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Anthrax

There were some great bands coming out of the 90s though as well such as Pantera (well they did start in the 80s, but did not same the same...;)).

For the most part I think that metal today is a bit overdone. It is less about great guitar licks and meaningful vocals, and more about just being faster and louder than the next guy to the point that it is getting kind of stupid. I still love the music and there are plenty of great bands coming out in the late 90s and 2000s such as Amon Amarth, Trivium, Godsmack, etc..

80s was still the best though when it came to metal.

We certainly have the same tastes in music, Evan. I have been using Spotify and Youtube to fins stuff I like these days. There aren't any real rock stations around anymore in LA, sadly. With that list, one I was surprised not to see was Dream Theater.

Some of the newer stuff I have been listening to lately is Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Godsmack, Bullet for my Valentine and some others. There are still some great bands out there, they're just not getting radio play. But I see that market changing, at least in the US. Music is going through some big changes industry wide, some good, some bad. But I like the idea of the record company stranglehold on artist being threatened by the changes. There was a point in my life where I was semi-professional in the music business (guitar, keyboards, vocals). But a number of things made me give up pursuing it as a career.

Anywho, sorry for thread jacking, Chris. Let's get back to some head banging \m/

I love Five Finger Death Punch. Got to meet them a few years ago when they did a free show at our airfield. Really had a good time.

5fdp13.jpg

5fdp12.jpg

5fdp15.jpg

Oh and don't worry about thread jacking. This place is to discuss the music. That is why I post it. My daily dose of metal was supposed to either be nostalgic for old time fans, introduce people to new music, and possibly make some new fans out of people that may have not cared for the genre before.

I hope you are enjoying my selections.

Last edited:
And yet another fine selection! :thumbleft:

By the way, Eric, can you tune into 105.5 KNAC? (used to be broadcast out of Long Beach back in the day)...they are also online and I listen to them when I'm not listening to a local station, 106.7 Zrock...

Also, you might be interested to know that Heavy Metal is huge in Bulgaria! In Sofia, they have thier own Zrock (89.1) that plays ALOT of vintage 80's metal...matter of fact, Ronny James Dio is dang near a national hero to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
5FDP are pretty cool, need to listen to 'em more me thinks 8)

...Is it me or does the the band photos with the long-sleeved T-shirt with the beige/sand coloured eagle wings seem a bit Warhammer 40K (Imperial Guard's Eagle/Aquilla)-ish inspired?

...Or maybe thats me. You know when you've read to much Gaunts Ghosts when anything that similarily looking appears as Imperial Guard based/inspired, damn there ain't no lasrifles yet...

Last edited:
Today's daily dose of metal...

Godsmack - Straight Out Of Line
Album: Faceless (2003)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9FmOc0ofGc

Godsmack-Faceless.jpg

And while on the topic of Godsmack, check this video out as well. Absolutely amazing. I saw them on this tour, and they did a similar "drum battle" Very very cool. These guys put on such a good live show. Watch the whole thing from beginning to end though. It just gets better and better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjuG_jMF6I

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me.

Fixed your post back to what your had originally written. I am really sorry about that. I was trying to quote your post, but did an edit instead. I did not realize it until after I hit the submit post button. I did this while sitting in my Jeep in front of the hanger at like 0630 in the morning. :lol:

And now back to quoting your post...

GrauGeist said:
Also, you might be interested to know that Heavy Metal is huge in Bulgaria! In Sofia, they have thier own Zrock (89.1) that plays ALOT of vintage 80's metal...matter of fact, Ronny James Dio is dang near a national hero to them.

Metal is huge all over Europe. It never died out there. That is one of the big reasons why all the major bands tour over there as often as they do. Of course the strength of the Euro probably plays a big part as well.

I rock/metal festivals in the Summer are absolutely the greatest. Bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Motorhead, Diamondhead, etc all touring together.

The Mecca for any heavy metal fan is the Wacken Open Air Festival in Germany every summer. It is normally 3 days long, over 100 bands and approx. 80,000 fans attend it every year. Just check out these lineups (only a few bands from the whole line up listed)...

Deep Purple, Rammstein, Doro, Anthrax, Arch Enemy, Candlemass

Scorpions, Amon Amarth, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, In Flames, Kamelot, Machine Head, Opeth, Overkill, Sacred Reich, Saxon, Sepultura, Testament, UDO, Volbeat,

Ozzy, Blind Guardian, Children of Bodom, Helloween, Iced Earth, Judas Priest, Kreator, Morbid Angel, Motorhead, Suicidal Tendencies, Trivium, Warrant

I could go on and on...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back