Adler's Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Boeing B-17E-BO Flying Fortress "My Gal Sal"
SN: 41-9032

Current Location: National WW2 Museum, New Orleans, USA

This aircraft is one of only 3 B-17E's in existence. It is one of 512 E-models built by the Boeing Aircraft Corporation of Seattle, Washington in 1941.

On 27 June 1942, the aircraft was assigned to the 342nd Bomb Squadron of the 92nd Bomb Group, and was flying the Labrador to Greenland leg of a ferry flight to England. "My Gal Sal" was part of a flight of 13. Due to inclement weather 5 of the aircraft returned to Labrador, and 5 made it to Greenland. 3 however "Alabama Exterminator", "Sooner" and "My Gal Sal" were forced to crash land or ditch. The crew was rescued on July 4th.

"My Gal Sal" was forgotten on the icecap until a USAF overflight of the area discovered her in 1964. The aircraft was recovered in 1995 and eventually restored.

16.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
33.jpg

B-17G-85-VE Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady"
S/N: 44-8846

Current Location: Forteresse Toujours Volante, Paris, France.

Until her retirement in 2010, "The Pink Lady" was the only surviving airworthy B-17G that actually saw combat service over Germany during WW2. She was built at the Lockheed-Vega plant in Burbank, California in December of 1944. On March 1, 1945, the aircraft was flown to RAF Polbrook, England and assigned to the 511th Bomb Squadron, 351st Bomb Group. She only flew 6 combat missions over Germany. Her last mission was on April 20, 1945.

Post war she was used in several movies including Memphis Belle, where she portrayed "Mother and Country", and is credited in Red Tails.

1.jpg

Boeing B-17G-95-DL
SN: 44-83868
Current Location: RAF Museum Hendon, London, England

Built in July 1945 at the Douglas Aircraft Plant at Long Beach, California. The aircraft was accepted by the USAAF on July 6, 1945, and transferred to the US Navy. The aircraft was used Cadillac II program Long Range Early Airborne Warning Systems. It April of 1948, the aircraft was assigned to the US Navy's Air Early Warning Squadron No. 1 (VPW-1) at Ream Field in San Diego, California. Between May and October 1952 it was reassigned to VW-2 at Patuxent River and Gardamoen, Norway.The aircraft was retired in 1956 in Norfolk, Virginia. The aircraft was used as a fire tanker by several private companies before being restored back to military configuration.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Boing B-29-45-MO Superfortress "Enola Gay"
SN: 44-86292

Current Location: National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington DC, USA

"Enola Gay" is the aircraft that dropped the 1st Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima on 06 August 1945. The aircraft was built by the Glenn L. Martin Company at its Bellevue, Nebraska plant. It was one of fifteen built to the "Silverplate" specifications. This included a modified bomb bay, British bomb release attachment systems, reversible pitch propellers, improved engines with fuel injection and better cooling. The protective armor and gun turrets were also removed. The USAAF accepted the aircraft on 18 May 1945, assigned to the 393d Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, 509th Composite Group. The aircraft arrived on Tinian on July 6, 1945, where it flew training missions. It also flew two combat missions on July 24th and July 26th 1945, where it dropped Pumpkin Bombs (Bombs that were built like the Fat Man Atomic Bombs for testing) on Kobe and Nagoya.

On August 6, 1945, the Enola Gay flown by Col Paul Tibbets dropped the 1st Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. The rest is history...

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Last edited:
Boeing FB4B
SN: 9241

Current Location: National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington DC, USA

Aircraft 9241 was built for the USMC and delivered on December 20, 1932. It was assigned to Marine Fighting Squadron 10, and served there until July 1933 when it was transferred to VF-9M at Quantico, Virginia. It then served as a trainer until July 31, 1939.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Well after visiting the US Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida 2 weekends ago, here is an update to the German aircraft. After that I will continue with the US Aircraft.

Messerchmitt Me 262B-1a
Werk Nr.: 110639

Current Location: US Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, Florida, USA

This aircraft was originally built as a single seat variant, but was converted 15 aircraft modified under contract by Blohm and Voss for use as a dual-control trainer. The aircraft was captured by the 54th ADS at Lechfeld in May 1945. On the 14th and the 15th of May the aircraft was test flown for evaluation purposes by German pilot Ludwig Hoffman, who was accompanied by an American pilot, a Cpt. Ward. Cpt. Ward was the first American to fly an Me 262. Starting on the 30th of May, the aircraft was used to train American pilots on flying the Me 262, this was done with German test pilots for familiarization purposes.

The aircraft was then taken to the United States and given over to the US Navy for flight testing.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back