Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

modificated by another company in another country where it got a new designation.

"Fieseler design entrusted to the Skoda Werke near Prague, and completed under the designation FiSk 199, and tests were conducted as the BF 109G-2/R1"

Green - Warplanes of the Third Reich - pp558

Graeme you got the closest ansver. It's the Fieseler - Skoda FiSk 199 with a LONG crutch type wheel mounted under the fuselage a couple feet behind the cockpit. The object was to increase ground clearance for a large centrally mountedbomb. No discussion about the design other than "At
least two examples converted to a Fiesler design at the Skoda Works. "

With such a close coupled "tail wheel", I'll bet it was a wild ride
taxiing! Some late model G's and K's had a much simpler solution - a
long tail wheel strut.

The designation is curious. I wonder if it was any connection to the
later Czech Avia C 199

FiSk-199

Graeme, mind if I throw one in?

Attachments

• zulu1.jpg
    zulu1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 134
  • zulu2.jpg
    zulu2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 129
No way to find the composite aircraft...

Hi Emilio. Sorry, it was a poor choice, I didn't realise how little there was on the net concerning the Pemberton Billing P.B.37 Slip Wing...

Parasites

Noel was a little obsessed with the Slip Wing/parasite concept...

The spanish words you asked me are:
Saeta Arrow
Azor Goshawk
Halcón Hawk
Alcotán Hobby (another bird of prey)
Alacrán Scorpion

Again, thank you. I've seen them time and time again, but never googled. :|

I'll take a stab.....

April 21, 1948
British European Airways Vickers Viking airliner: The Viking 1B variant, which carried 24 passengers, was equipped with two Bristol Hercules 634 14-cylinder radial air-cooled piston engines. The aircraft's maximum speed was about 423km/h (263mph).

Arnold Harry Lloyd

Vickers Viking G-AIVE

I'll take a stab.....

April 21, 1948
British European Airways Vickers Viking airliner: The Viking 1B variant, which carried 24 passengers, was equipped with two Bristol Hercules 634 14-cylinder radial air-cooled piston engines. The aircraft's maximum speed was about 423km/h (263mph).

Arnold Harry Lloyd

Vickers Viking G-AIVE

Great info Chris!...but....er... I was hoping to creep back before anyone noticed...and make a quick edit...it should read 50 years ago...sorry, but you're doing great! and think soccer.

It was hard to tell and with the snow and Mr. Lloyd's famous trek, thought I had it.

Will try again.

Ok, found it.

The Munich Air Disaster took place on 6 February 1958, when British European Airways Flight 609 crashed on its third attempt to take off from a slush-covered runway at the Munich-Riem airport in Munich, West Germany. On board the plane was the Manchester United football team, nicknamed the Busby Babes, along with a number of supporters and journalists. Twenty-three of the 44 passengers on board the aircraft died in the disaster.

The flight was operated by British European Airways (BEA) as an "Elizabethan" class Airspeed Ambassador charter aircraft G-ALZU Lord Burghley.

Munich Air Disaster - 50 Years on

It was hard to tell and with the snow and Mr. Lloyd's famous trek, thought I had it.

But you made it through the snow and travelled an extra decade! Good show Chris! :D

Yep, the Airspeed AS 57 Ambassador and the Munich tragedy of 1958.

Munich air disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The survivor above is Bobby Charlton...

Now Sir Bobby Charlton...

Bobby Charlton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally they blamed ice on the wings for the disaster, but eventually concluded that snow "slush" was the main cause. The negative of the Ambassador (G-ALZU) photo below, just before the fatal attempt to take off, revealed no traces of ice on the wing...

The pilot, Captain James Thain, had a hard life post-disaster and was finally exonerated in 1969...

Amazon.co.uk: Munich Air Disaster: Captain Thain's Ordeal: Stanley Williamson: Books

Captain James Thain was suspended from British European Airways and made a scapegoat. He spent the next 11 years trying to clear his name. It cost him his job and because BEA had sacked him he lost his all his pension rights, they even fined him for the loss of his airline pilots cap! Rough justice indeed for a man who was an injured survivor and victim. Two German inquiries had been held into the crash and on both occasions it blamed him.

It was not until 1969 that the results of a British investigation revealed it was slush on the runway, the responsibility of Munich airport, and not ice on the wings which was the responsibility of the pilot - that caused the crash.
The British findings concluded: "Blame for the accident is not to be imputed to Captain Thain." But the Germans never accepted this, even to this day 50 years later the German authorities still refuse to accept the British findings on the accident. No apology or restitution was ever made to him or his family for this terrible injustice

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello every body!

I have a problem with this plane :

dscn3421oa8.jpg

I haven't any informations about it!Graeme may be?!?!

Thanks!

I'm back after six weeks vacation ...

Here is my (easy) contribution, it should not need any clues:

Attachments

• 01A.JPG
    01A.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Back