AIRFIX 1/48 Bf109F

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Worked out better than expected. Just a wee bit of fine tuning. One good thing about all of my searching for a non existent bottle of paint is that I found bottles that I forgot I had.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Not a lot accomplished as I am now waiting to buy some paint and then painting begins on Monday at the earliest. Did do the prop assembly and wheels. A test fit of the assembly shows a less than stellar fit to the fuselage, perhaps a 1mm gap all the way around. Hard to tell, wheel on the left has been weathered. Last update for this build until next week. Going to work at getting my P-47N ready for decals. I'll post something on the "What's on the workbench" thread.

003.JPG
005.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Not sure about those mix ratios Geo. Seems to me it will come out too dark. I have seen two references call out the following that you can use with your XF-23:

XF23:5 + XF54:1 + XF2:2

Any hobby shop in Vancouver was way out of my way so I decided to try and mix RLM 78(The 78 is my mix). Kinda, sorta looks close, so good enough for me. Had a half empty bottle of Tamiya XF-23 and added 4 drops of XF-8. Though a bit hard to tell in the photos, it is close.

011.JPG
012.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Thank you kindly, sirs. Put the second coat on and took the tape off the wing-tips and forward fuselage, inevitable touch-ups to follow. Comparing straight Tamiya XF-23(RLM65) to 1/2 bottle of XF-23 with 4 drops of XF-8 added. I'm really surprised at the difference 4 drops make.

65.78.JPG

I'll let the paint cure today and start my most daunting camouflage scheme tomorrow.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back